Farmall C shift lever will not go into 3rd 4th gear

andy r

This has been a project tractor. A few years ago I took the platform off as the two bolts that hold the thick washer on the end of the axle had come off allowing the axle to move in and out of the bull gear. Later I found out this repair could have been done through the PTO casting. I put the platform back on as soon as the repair was made. Fast forward 5 or 6 years I am back working on the tractor to finish it up. Yesterday I noticed the shift lever goes properly into reverse (lever clear to the right and down) and 1st and 2nd (middle of shift pattern up and down). Problem - the shift lever will move to the left for 3rd and 4th, but it will not go up or down into any gear. Could the problem be that the tractor just has been sitting around for a while and the 3/4 rail has gotten stuck? I can't believe I wouldn't have checked for all of the gears when the platform was put back on. I have tried bumping the shift lever. Maybe I could get some oil up there in the shift rails somehow. Also, will the shift lever pull out so I can see down in there? Any ideas short of taking the platform back off? Thanks.

In just about all areas of the US except the arid southwest items setting in unheated sheds are susceptible to gathering condensation in enclosed gear boxes and engine crankcases. I suspect moisture has condensed up on the shifter rails and some rust has set in locking them up. You could pull the shift lever. Them you could try melting shut the end of a spray straw on a penetrating oil spray can and cut or drill a hole in the side near the end so it would spray out the side. Stick it in the gearshift hole and spray penetrating oil forward hoping you can hit a spot that will loosen it. Lengthy tapping on the shifter rail may also help.

Take top off (ask someone to help you, very awkward and heavy)and proper align gears to receive the aligned shifter forks . Check fork movement and condition ,may be bent ,
Drain out old oil , remove any metal floor sweepings of wire ,pins etc. installed at factory or wherever and however they got there.
Wash out case with kerosene inspection of gears for broken teeth . Check oil slinger gear .
Go to napa get Sae 90 mineral oil gl1 and refill differential case. Dont use 80/90 wt , has sulfur ep will attack bronze bushings such pto pilot .
This happened for the best , so take advantage and do take advantage of the opportunity to assure the differtial is in good working order to last a lifetime .

if you took lid off .you have to line gears up with forks or it will not go into gears proper..need two people or cherry picker..............dewy

Gene, here are details to add per you inquiry. One way to verify he has moisture in the trans is the owner should loosen the rear end drain plug just plugged until it drops and see if water comes out. Secondly, signs of rusting in the gearshift hole. All air has some humidity in it whether it is in a captured space or out under the clear blue sky thus the weather man tells you the percent of humidity. Inside the trans the humidity of the captured air can condense on surfaces, in this case those surfaces were the shifting mechanisms. This action is generally takes place with the help of temperatures changes. Good enough? Are you saying this cannot possibly happen in his transmission? I will admit I am not as familiar with the models below the H. Maybe 560 Dennis has the right idea to just pull the lid off probably quite a bit less involved then on an H. I would question why Dennis thinks there might be floor sweeping in the transmission, yes I realize that is an analogy.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back