JD 60 Gas cap location

OK, yes I know where the cap is...lol
My question is why do some have the gas caps
towards the back, while others are located up towards the front.Ive seen both, Why and when did they make the change? Just curious.
Ray
 
I think they moved it forward to cut down on fires from over filling or something like that. I was curious to because I have a 1954 60. I dont know all of the details like when they moved it or if the forward position was early or late design
 
I think they moved it forward to cut down on fires from over filling or something like that. I was curious to because I have a 1954 60. I dont know all of the details like when they moved it or if the forward position was early or late design
 
The early 60's had the fill cap towards the rear,till ser# 35,349 about mid 1954. One of the thoughts for the change was that when fueling if you ran the tank over it would spill down over the dist. makeing more of a chance for a fire to start
 
I think they moved it in 54, my 56 60 all fuel has it to the front. When I was trying to find a tank for my 60 I could not find one of the newer ones like mine with the front filler and all fuel size so I had to buy and older style and remove the filler neck from the back, patch that hole and relocate the filler neck to the front. That’s when I figured out they also change the diameter and cap style of the filler neck. The one at the back has a cap just like my A’s, the one at the front has a different cap that is smaller. I had to use the filler neck from my original rotted out tank.
My buddy has an early 54 model 60 all fuel with both caps at the back just like my A’s.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top