JD 70 restoration

Hello folks I am looking for suggestions on who you guys would suggest I call to have a 70 JD standard restored. My neighbor called me this morning and it seems because I have a nice 730 diesel I am sudenly the expert on old JD tractors (definitely not the case) Apparently its and electric start the tin is in 80% condition because of damage not rust but the tractor would need to be stripped, body work, seat, gauges and essentially everything to flows along that side of things. Neither my neighbor or his father in law want to tack the project because of time constraints and my plate is beyond full with my own projects. We are from ND and the closer the better but they are willing to move the tractor where it needs to be for the work.

Any suggestions who you would recommend for this type of project would very much be appreciated!!
Thanks much
Karl

Karl...IMHO the cost to have someone do that type of restoration would exceed the value of the tractor. A friend of mine just purchased a completely restored 70 diesel standard that was a very nice, complete restoration for $7,000. I am guessing the cost to strip your neighbors tractor, fix all of the leaks, straighten the dents, install new tires/rims, apply quality paint, purchase vinyl decals, replace the gauges, buy new seat cushions, etc would be close to $7000. Also, IMHO the fact that it has been converted to electric start detracts from the final value for someone who is looking for an original 70 diesel standard. Don't mean to rain on the parade, but that is my opinion based on my experience.

Restoring a tractor that has sentimental value is one thing. Wanting sell after restoration for profit is not a good idea. I have restored many tractors for myself and friends and it most all cases the cost to do so far outweighed the value. There are tractors that just plain need all the love you can give, money should not be an issue. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back