JD 730 coolant drain plug at bottom of head stuck

andy r

I was going to drain the coolant in my John Deere 730 diesel by removing the plug located on the bottom of the cylinder head. I had it out a year or two ago. Anyway it seems stuck. I can not get a pipe wrench to stay on the treads sticking out of the head and a wrench just wants to round off the square head. I have hit it with a hammer a few times and sprayed it with penetrant. I guess I could drive a socket on it. Probably could heat and cool the plug a few times. Any ideas for getting the coolant plug out of the bottom of the head? Thanks.

(quoted from post at 19:59:34 12/10/21) I was going to drain the coolant in my John Deere 730 diesel by removing the plug located on the bottom of the cylinder head. I had it out a year or two ago. Anyway it seems stuck. I can not get a pipe wrench to stay on the treads sticking out of the head and a wrench just wants to round off the square head. I have hit it with a hammer a few times and sprayed it with penetrant. I guess I could drive a socket on it. Probably could heat and cool the plug a few times. Any ideas for getting the coolant plug out of the bottom of the head? Thanks.
IMHO, once you get it out, replace it with the (correct) hex-head plug (A2093R) or a brass plug to make it easier to remove next time.

Besides heat about the only other thing to try would be vibrating it with an air hammer (I wouldn't get too aggressive though). I've learned to use anti-sieze when reinstalling those plugs.

I had the same problem on my 41 B. I drilled a hole through the center of the plug and tapped it for a 1/8 taper pipe plug. I don't recall the size of the tap drill but check the chart for that. That doesn't fix the problem or get the stuck plug out but gets you by.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back