JD 770 just died

up4fishin

New User
I'd appreciate some help on where to start... I just started my JD 770 after a couple months of non-use, and as usual it ran very strong. It has always started right up and has never run rough. It ran for about 5 minutes, and as I was backing up to drop the bush hog, it just died. I pulled the fuel filter bowl and everything there is clear--fuel is being forced in there just fine. Tractor only has a couple hundred hours. Not sure where to try next. Thanks in advance for any help!!
 
I have put over 1000 hours on a 770, to give you an insight on how much I know about it.

770's had charging problems in which the fuel shut-off solenoid would activate, thus killing the fuel because of low-to-no battery voltage.

Do you still have lights, dash displays? If so, do you hear an audible "click" when you turn the key to the "on" position? This click means the solenoid is working well, but there may not be enough voltage to keep the tractor running.

Post back and tell me if your tractor turns over or not.
 
Thanks for your quick reply. You might be on to something--ok here goes... I short cut my inital post to keep it short and simple. The full story (back to the "you might be on to something") is that the battery was dead and I jump started it to get it going. Prior to that, I had been getting the clicking sound.
After the jump and 5 minutes run time, and after it died, turning the key did nothing in terms of noise--silence. I did not pay attention to the lights, but I'm pretty sure the battery light came on. I wanted to eliminate the battery as a possibility, so I bought a brand new one and replaced it. It now turns over very strongly, but it just does not roar to life after one or two cranks as it has every other time I've ever started it (prior to today). This is the first time I've jump started it, in other words. Sorry for the lack of a key detail in the first post. Thanks again for any help you can offer.
 
Regarding your comment, "It now turns over very strongly, but it just does not roar to life after one or two cranks as it has every other time I"ve ever started it (prior to today).", check your air cleaner housing for a mouse house. You mentioned in your original post that it had been sitting for a few months without being used they might have set up shop in there restricting air flow. My 770 never fails to amaze me how that thing will start on the coldest day after sitting for months.
 
Thanks to all for the help. The electrical-oriented post got me thinking, so I started at the most basic level by checking the fuses. I have not located a diagram of the box, so I just pulled them one at a time. The 3 AMP fuse one up from the bottom on the left side of the box was blown. I replaced it, and as is traditional with this tractor it roared to life. Problem solved, and very cheaply I might add. I'm not sure what the fuse covers, but it did the trick.

Btw, I keep the tractor in the garage, so the mice *could* get to it, but there are many other more desireable nooks and crannies for them (if they can avoid all the poison I keep out there).
 
Put som moth balls in your garadge, shop or shed, around the door areas. The mice don't like the smell of them. Ha Ha, neither do I.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top