JD A spark plug

cowdog

I have Champion D-16 in there now. Is that sufficient. Perhaps one that is just a freckle hotter . This is just a hobby tractor. Don't want to start a long winded argument. Just give me your thoughts please. Thanks guys

A plug in the D16 heat range is the old standby but with today's gasoline it is too cool. If you choose to stay with Champion and it's a hobby tractor a D21 plug will keep clean. Lots of guys like Autolite. I'm using up my supply of D21's in my two bangers and they are working fine.

A plug in the D16 heat range is the old standby but with today's gasoline it is too cool. If you choose to stay with Champion and it's a hobby tractor a D21 plug will keep clean. Lots of guys like Autolite. I'm using up my supply of D21's in my two bangers and they are working fine.

I know guys like the Autolite 3116 in Magneto ignition Tractors. I use 388 in my 51 distributor AR. I do a bit of tractor pulling and a little disking in the spring, but nothing major. It always seems to fire right up even in sub freezing temps. Have had the same set in since 2009.

Todays gasoline is just fine. It's the fact that the tractor is puttered around with. Instead being used to plough all day.
Nobody has yet mentioned how important it is to have coolant temps at or above 195F. When the engine is too cold, the mixture has to be over richened to prevent stalling. The extra fuel fouls plugs and causes extra cylinder wall wear.

I get that part for sure! Thanks. make no mistake, this tractor is old, the engine is old, I am old. all of us just want something to do and I thought this old dog would be something to do this winter that didn't have a computer or cell phone attached to it.

D-16 has an Auxiliary Gap within it, which may make it hard to work with when coupled with a weak magneto. A touch hotter would be D-21 which I use for decades at a time with zero problems. Recently, I got four from a racing outfit for $2 each with shipping. Did buy four of them as soon as I read about a favorite Autolite number no longer being made and got scared that might happen to me. Only reason I've had to buy plugs for my Deere as far back as I can remember.

<a href="http://www.federalmogulmp.com/en-US/Technical/Documents/Champion%20Spark%20Plug%20Copper%20Plus%20Heat%20Range%20Chart.pdf" target="_new">Champion Heat Range Chart</a>

I beleive last I looked at the Champion spark plug selection book, Champion only recommended the D-16 for heavy service! That would be especially true if used in an all fuel model! I believe Champion recommends the D-21 for normal service and the D-23 for light service but the D-23 won't always fit!

I'm not advising any to use any particular plug but am only relating my experiences. I don't use anything but Champion plugs because they're easy for me to obtain where I live. I have never had troubles with them either and I don't deny others have. Only sayin, I have not. I also use the working shutters in all my tractors and I make sure they run as lean as possible and yet run smoothly! Having access to a dyno (or belt load) to tinker with the carb adjustments helps a lot! They'll usually run well set a lot leaner than many beleive best.

If they start without choke or they don't need any choke to run smoothly through the first few minutes after a cold start, they're probably set too rich and may foul plugs.

I don't own a D-16 plug and I'd not be likely to give one to a friend for use in a lettered series tractor if I did!

The 3116 plugs worked great. So did the advise I got about a starting these flywheel starts. Air cleaner baffle is rusty powder. Don't spoke you dare run it without em. OIL would be slosing all over creation. You fellas have any Home brewed fixes for that baffle?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back