JD B crankshaft

mrtr

New User
I'm overhauling my 1941 B. I removed the crank and it looks ok. My question is: there is a bit of a hump around the center of the crank where the mains are grooved. Is this ok or must the crank be perfectly smooth all the way across?
 
That "hump" shows how much your crank is wore. It probably will run just fine this way if your just putting around with it.
 
(quoted from post at 17:55:28 12/20/19) I'm overhauling my 1941 B. I removed the crank and it looks ok. My question is: there is a bit of a hump around the center of the crank where the mains are grooved. Is this ok or must the crank be perfectly smooth all the way across?

If you are truly "overhauling" it, the crank would already be at a machine shop for evaluation and regrinding. The "hump" is indicative of wear.

On the other hand , if you are mucking around a bit and convincing yourself "all is well", it will probably run for many years, as "MSB" suggests.

But don't cal it an "overhaul".
 
I was taught no matter the task do it right or not at all so in this case since your spending $$ on it do it right or you will be doing it again sooner or latter and maybe at a lot great cost
 
Have you checked all Journals ..as in diam....taper etc...

Bob..
cvphoto355.jpg
 
That sounds very unusual wear on a 2 cyl. crank ? Should be able to find another crank except for on those years the clutch driver splines are usually worn out bad. I restored my 1945 B based on that it had good crank splines ! I had plenty of other similar B's to provide the rest of the parts.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top