JD M first start in who knows how long

MikeandKeri

New User
Finally got time to work on my Model M. Here’s the video of it starting after cleaning and replacing some parts of the carb.

Nope the video is too big.
Here’s some pictures of what I did.

Some of the Chinese parts weren’t good enough to use so I put a new needle in an old seat. At some point I’ll have to replace both bars as they have significant wear. I also resurfaced both parts before replacing the gaskets for a better surface.

Attachments

• IMG_5436.jpeg
    IMG_5436.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5438.jpeg
    IMG_5438.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5442.jpeg
    IMG_5442.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5439.jpeg
    IMG_5439.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5443.jpeg
    IMG_5443.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5440.jpeg
    IMG_5440.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5441.jpeg
    IMG_5441.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 34
I miss the old days when the throttle and choke shaft were included in the basic kit. Now you have to buy the comprehensive $$$ kit to get them or order individually $$$. Last fall I rebuilt the carb on my IH and went through 3 needles and seats before I got one to seal.

Is the avatar your M? Looks good!

Yes. They also made a wagon out of an AMT626 from JD that I’ll paint to haul my granddaughter around on.

Attachments

• IMG_5264.jpeg
    IMG_5264.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 44
Finally got time to work on my Model M. Here’s the video of it starting after cleaning and replacing some parts of the carb.

Nope the video is too big.
Here’s some pictures of what I did.

Some of the Chinese parts weren’t good enough to use so I put a new needle in an old seat. At some point I’ll have to replace both bars as they have significant wear. I also resurfaced both parts before replacing the gaskets for a better surface.
Sure would be nice if MS had screwed that U-shaped float bracket on instead of the threaded rivets. I went so far as to pry it off to get a visegrips on the seat. Then I had a nice unobstructed surface to sand flat. I only bent the bracket a little bit and the rivets went back in with JB weld. Nice tractor (and wagon). steve

I also met a couple whose father had an M. They gave me the original service manual and parts manual. A few greasy pages let me know it was a great piece of history that was well used.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back