JDA Upper Water Pipe

Steve_S

Member
I have a replacement upper water pipe that I'd like to install but I'm concerned with cracking the 70 year old casting that it's brazed into. Are there any tricks to a successful replacement?

I've also considered cutting the old water pipe a couple inches from the bottom, flaring the new pipe and sliding it over. But obviously the old pipe is thinner than it used to be so a full replacement might be preferable.

Any tips or tricks to avoid disaster would be appreciated!
 
Concentrate your torch heat on the old solder or braze & pull out with a vice grip as you go. Then braze in the new pipe & let it cool.
 
I put those old castings an oven at 500 degrees before taking a torch to them. Seems to work as I have never cracked one yet. Also try not
to over do the torch.
 
I cut my pipe off and left a inch sticking out and had a muffler shop bend me up a piece of 3 inch pipe . I slid the pipe over the old which is 2 7/8 and welded it. I sanded it with a flapper disc and you cant hardly tell it was welded.
 
I did what you're talking about on my JD B about 15 years ago.
Welded in a piece of 3" muffler pipe, thought all was well until
It rusted through a few years later.
My B being a parade tractor that never gets up to proper operating
temperature as it would working, there wasn't any water flow through
the upper water pipe, and the inside of the muffler pipe started
building up calcified rust and eventually rusted through.
To fix, I found an upper water pipe in good condition on eBay
and happily paid $25.00 and $20.00 shipping.
I think there is a difference in the steel of the muffler pipe vs the
original pipe from Deere.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top