ji case 830 gas

Neighbors have a 830 that starts and runs but when you put a load on it, it starts to run rough and will not pull itself, if you hit the key while it is actioning up it runs better, they have changed the switcch and not any better, thanks Joe

Something like this is always a process of elimination. First take plug from bottom of carburetor and check flow, should be what appears to be a 3/16 stream. If not, check the flow going to the carburetor. Check for wobble of the distributor shaft. A worn bushing will cause erratic running when put under load. Then check the timing advance that it works freely. Lastly, oil the distributor, nobody ever oils them.

if this is a gas tractor and it has a 4 post solenoid, when you are hitting the key and it runs better , you are sending extra voltage to the coil. SO it would seem you coil is weak. This only applies to certain 4 post solenoids.

To be more specific: I had this on my 300. Certain 4 post solenoids the 2 small posts are interchangeable. One is grounded the other is from the switch that closes the circuit to run the starter. The tractor I had came with a different solenoid, where one is specific to engage the starter. The other is to go to the coil and provide a temporary boost in voltage to the coil while the starter is cranking. THis is the solenoid I had, but it was wired the other way, with one post grounded and the other to the starter and those two were backwards. zTook a while to figure it out. So, it would seem that if you say engaging the key helps, it would seem you may be sending extra juice to the coil. If all of that is true, then maybe your coil is weak or other ignition issues.

(quoted from post at 03:38:15 08/10/23) To be more specific: I had this on my 300. Certain 4 post solenoids the 2 small posts are interchangeable. One is grounded the other is from the switch that closes the circuit to run the starter. The tractor I had came with a different solenoid, where one is specific to engage the starter. The other is to go to the coil and provide a temporary boost in voltage to the coil while the starter is cranking. THis is the solenoid I had, but it was wired the other way, with one post grounded and the other to the starter and those two were backwards. zTook a while to figure it out. So, it would seem that if you say engaging the key helps, it would seem you may be sending extra juice to the coil. If all of that is true, then maybe your coil is weak or other ignition issues.
Kenbob,
To be even more specific, the small, extra post on the solenoid supplies full voltage to the coil by temporarily by-passing the resister. Perhaps the resister itself is malfunctioning, supplying less than adequate voltage to ensure sufficient spark.
It would be interesting to see what voltage the coil is receiving while cranking (should be almost full system voltage) and what the voltage is while running.

(quoted from post at 18:39:04 08/16/23) It would be nice to know if our suggestions help folks.
Check for intake& exhaust leaks while your at it. Don't ask me how I know this/CM
mvphoto108623.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back