john deer 520 loader joy stick controler

samm

New User
We have a john deer 5400 with a 520 loader. The joy stick controler broke so it won't tilt the bucket up or down, but the up and down works. We bought the new black plastic top part that the boot goes on top of,and has two places on the bottom for the cylinders? to go up in. (right now that's all we think is broken, cause we heard it crack). How hard is this to fix if anyone has ever did their own repair\replace ? Any feedback is appreciated.

The majority of Yesterdays Tractors talked about on
here are way older than your 5400. Do not be offended
if you do not get an answer, nobody has probably
worked on one.

(quoted from post at 21:49:05 12/20/23) We have a john deer 5400 with a 520 loader. The joy stick controler broke so it won't tilt the bucket up or down, but the up and down works. We bought the new black plastic top part that the boot goes on top of,and has two places on the bottom for the cylinders? to go up in. (right now that's all we think is broken, cause we heard it crack). How hard is this to fix if anyone has ever did their own repairreplace ? Any feedback is appreciated.

I haven't worked on a 520 loader but with a bit more detail someone may be able to help you. Below is a link to the 520 and 540 loaders' parts catalog. It will help if you can find and give the part number for what you purchased, as I am not seeing it as you describe it. I am looking at the cover which covers the joystick linkage (Control For Loader Valve - ST709278) and only see linkage inside it, not the valve. The valve is at the lower end of the rods that come out the bottom of the cover. If I am looking at the right part based on your description, the linkage is not supported by the cover, so it should not matter if the cover is cracked. Are you sure a pin didn't come out of the linkage between the joystick and the valve or that the mechanical linkage is not compromised in some other way?

mvphoto112553.jpg

JD 520 and 540 Loader Parts Catalog (PC2354)

Wore out
I think samm is referring to item 5(RE230264) that has pistons(item 7 part #R230282) for ball joints on control handle(item 20). I think one must disassemble to replace broken part. [url[https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/77992/referrer/search/pgId/2510741/url]

This post was edited by Tx Jim on 12/22/2023 at 08:54 am.

Sounds good, Jim, part with the boot is Key #3 (R114389, part that probably broke is Key #5 (RE230264) (as you wrote).

ztYX1Rz.jpg

(quoted from post at 12:16:44 12/22/23)
Jim, try looking for part number R114389, I'm GUESSING that's what the O.P. is working with, it's in the TRACTOR PC, not the loader PC.

Thanks. Yes, based on his title, I was looking at the loader joystick control valve, not the SCV on the tractor itself. His description of the part fits the SCV.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back