300 U loader valve ?

Shelbygt

Just picked this old girl up and will be working through some things. There’s an ear broken off the top right corner cover for the hydraulic control valve causing hydraulic oil to leak out. My first question is this. My loader has two one way hydraulic cylinders while the bucket has a single two way cylinder.
Dumb question, are the control valves different between the single and dual actuators? Before I try to find a replacement cover, it would be nice to know in case I decide to change to a two way cylinder setup.
What should I be running for hydraulic fluid?

Attachments

• IMG_1529.jpeg
    IMG_1529.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 32
Looking at your picture, I can see one valve is set for single acting, the other for double. In your picture, in the middle of the front of each valve is a knob that turns to "S" or "D". A little pin sticks out the top of the knob. You can see one is straight up, the right one is off center. Turn the knob to what you need.

Wow. Thank you! Nice to know I can use the valves for both applications. What do you call the front cover secured by 4 bolts? The top right ear is broken off and leaking fluid. Are there seals or a gasket behind it?
I’m going to find shop manuals for her. My plan is a total restoration. I have some work for her first so I want to take care of her immediate needs.

Last edited:
Hello Shel, welcome to YT. Al already informed you of the information I was going to give you. Here is the manufacturers online parts catalog for your tractor. In fact I am going to link two versions of it.
The true IH version will open to the page for the hydraulic valve parts you are in search of, well sort of. There are two diagrams (282, 288 the next arrow will move you to 288) that show the parts you are looking for maybe they are the same parts they look the same, but I am not sure what the difference is. After I post this I will investigate if this is a fact or not.
Edit: between diagrams 282 and 288 the parts are the same it just depends on if your tractor has power steering or not that determines which is correct. The Messicks listing tells you which PN is needed.
CNHI IH 300 utility online parts catalog
Messicks IH 300 utility parts catalog
I went through this with another new member here that just acquired an IH 350 utility. So I will attach that post here and you will be able to see an explanation of the two different parts books I linked.
Earlier YT post with info
The 300 and 350 utility are essentially the same tractors, except the 300 has a 169 CID engine, where as the 350 has a 175 CID engine. Also the x50 series tractors were the first gas engine tractors IH equipped with 12 volt systems instead of 6 volt.

Last edited:
Hello Shel, welcome to YT. Al already informed you of the information I was going to give you. Here is the manufacturers online parts catalog for your tractor. In fact I am going to link two versions of it.
The true IH version will open to the page for the hydraulic valve parts you are in search of, well sort of. There are two diagrams (282, 288 the next arrow will move you to 288) that show the parts you are looking for maybe they are the same parts they look the same, but I am not sure what the difference is. After I post this I will investigate if this is a fact or not.
Edit: between diagrams 282 and 288 the parts are the same it just depends on if your tractor has power steering or not that determines which is correct. The Messicks listing tells you which PN is needed.
I went through this with another new member here that just acquired an IH 350 utility. So I will attach that post here and you will be able to see an explanation of the two different parts books I linked.
The 300 and 350 utility are essentially the same tractors, except the 300 has a 169 CID engine, where as the 350 has a 175 CID engine. Also the x50 series tractors were the first gas engine tractors IH equipped with 12 volt systems instead of 6 volt.
Mine has power steering. Guessing I’d better go to an IH dealer for this if there are different ones….if it’s still available.
That link for 350 post took me to a Messicks parts catalog.

Last edited:
Early X50 were still 6v. Jim

Mine has power steering. Guessing I’d better go to an IH dealer for this if there are different ones….if it’s still available.
Looks like I need 364878r1, Messicks couldn’t locate it. I have a feeling I’m in for a ride.

If the leak is because the plate is not uncovering a hole, but letting that corner be loose, a steel plate could be fabricated to hold it and the lever in where it belongs. I don't think that plate is going to be found new, but there are used ones. Try Bates Equipment Bourbon IN. Jim

Jim I knew some were 6 volt, probably should have worded that differently.
Looking like I need 364878R1 for power steering. Any idea where I can locate one?
Also could you send link on 350 discussion. Link you posted took me to Messick catalog.

Oops, sorry about that. Here is a link to that post. YT post on 350U with info
The info in the above post recommends web searching parts. If you would have saw that the you would have been able to find that the parent company of the folks that provide these forums All States Ag Parts shows on of those parts used for $62.
ASAP part

Oops, sorry about that. Here is a link to that post. YT post on 350U with info
The info in the above post recommends web searching parts. If you would have saw that the you would have been able to find that the parent company of the folks that provide these forums All States Ag Parts shows on of those parts used for $62.
ASAP part
I just read through 350 post. Thanks again!
I’ll get some pictures posted of the old girl. She’s a good runner. Need to start by fixing some leaks. The one at control valve and also from top of power steering area I need to track down.

Looking at your picture, I can see one valve is set for single acting, the other for double. In your picture, in the middle of the front of each valve is a knob that turns to "S" or "D". A little pin sticks out the top of the knob. You can see one is straight up, the right one is off center. Turn the knob to what you need.
so when you switch the valve setting to dual, I gather you need to add another hose?. I’m not a hydraulic guy.

so when you switch the valve setting to dual, I gather you need to add another hose?. I’m not a hydraulic guy.
Correct, in the “dual acting” setting when activating the remote valve fluid comes out of one and is allowed to return into the other as it is forced out of the opposite side of the cylinder. Then when moving thee remote to the opposite position the flow is reversed. If it is not obvious the cylinder has to be made to operate with double acting force. Just adding a hose does not guarantee your cylinder is made to work that way. In the “single acting” position the unused remote is not pressured with oil when the single acting cylinder is lowered.

Correct, in the “dual acting” setting when activating the remote valve fluid comes out of one and is allowed to return into the other as it is forced out of the opposite side of the cylinder. Then when moving thee remote to the opposite position the flow is reversed. If it is not obvious the cylinder has to be made to operate with double acting force. Just adding a hose does not guarantee your cylinder is made to work that way. In the “single acting” position the unused remote is not pressured with oil when the single acting cylinder is lowered.
Thank you!🙏

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back