John Deere 1010 Starter Replacement

gshumate611

New User
I currently own a gas John Deere 1010 utility tractor with a prestolite starter that has went bad. The starter that is on the tractor has 10 teeth on the gear. The only replacements I can find are delco starters with 9 tooth gears. I have looked at flywheel ring gears for 1010 tractors and they all seem to be the same (132 teeth). Would it be possible for me to swap my prestolite starter out for a delco? Your help is greatly appreciated!

Same starter for 1010 and 2010.
all three of mine are Delco. I had a Prestolite years ago and I would not go back. The Delco has been maintenance free.

Send it to HARVEY BROS and it will come back like new. Just look up their
web site for info without a doubt they are the best in the business

Just because the gear count is different does not mean it will not mesh. The 9-tooth starter should mount closer to the ring gear than the 10-tooth to compensate.

I know it's a hassle to return but that is always an option if the replacement starter does not work.

Most people do not have access to a good starter shop anymore. Typical auto-electric shops these days will only sell you a new or overhauled starter. None of the work is done in-house.

(quoted from post at 03:57:40 08/14/20) Same starter for 1010 and 2010.
all three of mine are Delco. I had a Prestolite years ago and I would not go back. The Delco has been maintenance free.

Were you able to switch your prestolite starter out for a delco without any issues?

(quoted from post at 17:35:39 08/14/20)
(quoted from post at 03:57:40 08/14/20) Same starter for 1010 and 2010.

Were you able to switch your prestolite starter out for a delco without any issues?

No issues.
Unbolt the presolite and bolt in the delco,
Hook the wires back up

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back