john deere 148 loader


No filter or screen on factory JD control valve. If you don't have valve supply attached according to tie following phot you need to correct that issue.

Disregard part #s for hyd fittings because those part #s are for later model tractors than a 3010

mvphoto100880.png


FEL control valve return needs to be attached to 3pt rockshaft return line or hyd filter ported filter cover. You can access hyd oil screen at round plug with square recess.

mvphoto100881.png


mvphoto100882.png
 

Disconnect FEL control valve return line from tractor. Install cap/plug on hyd fitting on tractor where return hose was connected. With FEL control levers in neutral start engine & no oil should exit open return hose. If oil happens to exits return oil please post photo of control valve.

Have you ever checked tractor hyd stand-by pressure? I suggest to set pressure at 2350 psi.
 
(quoted from post at 20:44:22 12/31/22) thanks for the pictures double checked hooked up right ive pulled screen cleaned it new filter new fluild its really has me scratching my head

Is this a tractor/loader you have had for a while and the lift slowdown is a new issue? Or is this a new unit to you and it seems slow? Does the bucket dump/rollback move slowly as well, or does it seem ok?
 
Thank you , Jim for responding.

This 158 was performing normally on my 4010.
When I moved it to my 4440 I noticed that the lift was slow. The bucket performs normally. I know I could rev up the engine more , I
just found the lift slow down odd !!
 

My reply was questions for the original poster. Your issues might be different than his and a separate post would be best, in my thoughts, so as not to cause confusion between the two.

Things that will be asked of you: Does your loader have its own control valve or are you using the remotes? As Tx Jim asked the other person, last screen cleaning, filter, fluid change? Is it plumbed properly? Have you checked the standby pressure? etc.
 

How is loader supplied hyd pressure on your 4440? Higher engine speeds above 1000 rpm's causes increased transmission pump output which will should cause loader functions to react faster
 
Is your loader run by tractor hydraulics or a separate pump? A boat load of years ago, my neighbors 3010 diesel out of the blue had the 3 point start moving very slow. Power steering still worked and nothing he did would speed up the 3 point. On a flyer, I took the priority valve off of it and pulled it apart. There was a metal shaving in it and it was stuck one way. Has worked perfectly ever since.
 
I did as you suggested and i do have fluild coming out of return line with lever in neutral position

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15zDMHFWAPcSzJvpzPayvR00JEjo-F009/view?usp=sharing

above is a link to the photo of the control valve
 
When I tried to open your Google Drive link, I get a message saying, "You need Access" and wants me to send a message requesting access. Best if you can use the "Choose Files" button below to post a picture direct from your computer or phone. That should work from Modern View. If you are using Classic View, you will need 5 text posts on record then you can post pictures in the 6th and after.

This post was edited by Jim.ME on 01/01/2023 at 03:41 pm.
 
(quoted from post at 19:06:04 01/01/23) I did as you suggested and i do have fluild coming out of return line with lever in neutral position

Hyd fluid exiting FEL control valve return hose indicate either your hyd valve is designed for an open center system or Closed center conversion plug if applicable has a failed inner seal or pressure relief valve in FEL control valve if applicable isn't set to tractor hyd system stand-by pressure. Stand-by hyd pressure on 3010 should be 2250-2350 psi.

Repair the problem of oil exiting return hose when FEL control levers are in neutral when engine is operating & your 148 will function much better/faster
 
I see a manufacturers insignia cast in the valve, what is
the name? Does it have other numbers on it? This may
help determine if the valve can be used on a closed
center system.
 
(quoted from post at 19:09:07 01/02/23) I see a manufacturers insignia cast in the valve, what is
the name? Does it have other numbers on it? This may
help determine if the valve can be used on a closed
center system.

I think that is a Gresen valve from the looks of the logo. The big plug in the picture may be the closed center plug if it is. Cessna, Eaton, and Husco are the three valves in the 148 parts catalog. I know the 47 loaders used a Gresen valve and it could be open or closed center depending on how it was set up. Valves got swapped around or added over the years so the catalog may not show what a loader is equipped with now.

A couple more pictures from different angles would be good as well as checking the logo and looking for a tag or stamped number.

If it has been ok on the 3010 right along, and all of a sudden it is slow, I would agree with Tx Jim that there is likely a blown seal on the closed center plug.

This post was edited by Jim.ME on 01/02/2023 at 03:44 pm.
 

I can't determined from your photo if your valve has plug(item 12A or 12B) but if it does check for faulty seal(item 10) on your Gresen control valve. I think large hex plug in your photo retains a check valve & that isn't causing slow hyd movements.

I still remember back in the 70's while diagnosing slow hyd's on a JD 2020 tractor that had a 48 loader when I discovered a similar blown seal on a similar Gresen control valve.

mvphoto101040.png
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top