John Deere 2510 Horsepower Adder..

I have a John Deere 2510 Diesel Syncro. The tractor is in good shape with about 400 hrs on a full engine overhaul. It is rated at 50-55 hp PTO. I also have 458 standard round baler. HP requirements are 55 HP. I used my tractor to operate this baler once and it doesn't quite have enough to power it, so I have been borrowing my fathers 4020 which powers it effortlessly.

My question... Is there an easy way to "turn up" the pump to get a few more ponies out my 2510? I only need the added HP for baling and hate having to transport my father's tractor or buy another one for just a small HP difference in today's economy. Maybe I'm way out of line with this thinking. Is it possible to get 5 more HP out of it?

I find it difficult to understand how a 2510 doesn't have enough HP to power a JD 458. Are you baling high moisture hay? Are you baling on hills?

I've utilized my Kubota M7040(64 pto hp) to pull my JD 467 baler making 4X5.5 bales on flat ground with no problems

2510 just isn't going to cut it for round baling realistically IMO unless its super dry/light ... but then you are a slave to your hay conditions ... better to get a tractor with enough HP and save your 2510 for other haying tasks.

Not worth tearing up the engine/trans ... you can get a 4020 for the cost of an engine/trans rebuild if you dont want to borrow your dads.

5hp more wont help. idealy you need 80or 90 hp or more . especially if you want fairly tight bales. our cranked up to 75 hp ford 5000 has all it can handle on our 4x4 deutz allis baler. same with our 4020 on 4x5 baler.

I baled lots of hay and cornstalks with a 2510 and a Deere 335 4x4 baler with no problems. I would take the injection pump to a shop and have
the fuel turned up and you should be fine. You will not ruin your engine or hurt your trans. That 202 engine became a 219 and then a 239 so
you have plenty of extra built into it. I even know of a 2510 with a turbo that is making 100hp that is a user tractor. Tom

I appreciate the responses thus far. I wouldn't call my property hilly, but it is definitely not flat and I don't bale high moisture hay. I don't want to hurt the tractor. Its a good runner and sometimes I feel that it makes fuel as efficient as it is. I just thought that I could turn a screw 1/4 turn somewhere on the pump and get a little more out of it, but I don't know much about high pressure injection pumps. I guess it is not that simple. This tractor is the biggest one on my little farm and my dad's farm is 25 miles away, thus I soak up a lot of time and fuel hauling it. I would sell it and buy something bigger, but this vintage of tractor about a 10K price point could easily get you junk especially with 60 year old hydraulic systems and a lot of dishonest people.

Before I would do any altering run the tractor to the nearest dyno to see what you really have or
don't have for HP??. The diesel was actually rated a bit less than the gas. Both in the 50 HP
neighborhood. Too bad you don't have my 2520 with the turbocharged 276 engine with 110 engine HP, as
it will run your baler and hand you change! DW

I'd agree with WTW and have the 2510 checked on a dyno.

As far as turning it up goes, it'd handle some. I've kind of wondered about the people that put the later turbo'd engines in as to how they
keep them cool? If you are baling on a hot day, you may max out your cooling system if you get too radical with the hp increases. Anyhoo,
that's been my experience with repowers.

Had radiator core removed and replaced with new core with extra row of tubes to increase cooling capacity. Also replaced original oil pan with larger (1 gallon more capacity) structural pan to increase lube and cooling capacity while still maintaining structural support to engine like original pan did. More to it than allot of folks see walking by it! Bolt in 110 HP engine horse power.

Send the pump off and have them give it about 10 percent
more fuel or a little more and reinstall the pump .

Keep in mind that PTO speed is only 2066 RPM on that tractor rather than the full rated speed of 2500 RPM under full load and maximum 55 HP. The 2510 diesel only made 45 HP at PTO speed.

Check your owner's manual or Nebraska Tractor Test #915
https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1408&context=tractormuseumlit

A bigger tractor would also have more weight to better handle a heavy baler. Your 2510 should still be a great tractor for moving bales, cutting hay and raking.

Dumb question:

Can you downshift to a lower gear or make smaller bales to stay withing the capacity of your 2510? It might require more baling time, but could still be much faster than adding the three hours of travel time to get and return your dad's 4020.

(quoted from post at 09:43:38 03/12/22) Keep in mind that PTO speed is only 2066 RPM on that tractor rather than the full rated speed of 2500 RPM under full load and maximum 55 HP. The 2510 diesel only made 45 HP at PTO speed.

Check your owner's manual or Nebraska Tractor Test #915

2510 operators manual states 54.96 pto HP with diesel engine & SR trans.
mvphoto89180.png

54.96 PTO is at full engine rpm of 2500 which puts the PTO shaft rpm over 540 rpm by nearly 20%

at 540 rpm and a corresponding 2072 engine rpm the PTO hp is 49.24 for a diesel synchro when new anyway per Nebraska test.

Well, I guess the answer is that I will be borrowing my dad's tractor for a few more years. I know and like my 2510 and probably will never sell it or trade it. The used tractor market is high and full of other peoples problems.

I doubt I would get much more out of an naturally aspirated engine anyways, but I'll call around to see if there is a dyno a knowledgeable operator.

Joe, let me flip the coin over....just brainstorming....how about trading your JD baler for something that requires less HP? If your JD baler is in good shape you
may walk away from the deal with a baler your 2510 can handle and money in your pocket. I have a Vermeer 5410 4x5 roller that requires 45 HP per the book.

Joe, let me flip the coin over....just brainstorming....how about trading your JD baler for something that requires less HP? If your JD baler is in good shape you
may walk away from the deal with a baler your 2510 can handle and money in your pocket. I have a Vermeer 5410 4x5 roller that requires 45 HP per the book.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back