John Deere 2550 Hydraulics - The Same Old Question?

I should begin this post (and really every post I make on here) by sincerely thanking everyone who contributes to the wealth of knowledge on the YT forums. Without you guys over the last few years, I would have been up the creek many times, and my pocket book would be much thinner than it already is.

I've actually been dreading making this post. I've spent a good deal of my time on here defending the "Mannheim Monsters" as I'm sure some of you would like to refer to them as. I grew up on and around them (830, 2630, 2040, 2350 2WD open station, 2350 FWD SoundGard, and a 3255 FWD SoundGard). Cut my teeth on them, so to speak. We farmed with other colors, too (as did our neighbors), but nothing else in those tractors' classes could compare in terms of versatility, reliability, and just raw pulling power (except with the 3255--our pair of 4230s could easily keep up, even with 2WD).

All that being said, I've read for years on here about the pitfalls of the Mannheim lot. Ten-thousand dollar hydraulic repair nightmares, for instance. Poor interpretation of the SoundGard design. Et cetera. I had hoped to avoid all that, but I think I may be forced to eat some crow.

We bought a JD 375 baler late last fall, and just this spring had a chance to get it in the field with our 2550 FWD open station with a 245 loader. Baler did great! However, after a hot day in the hayfield, as I was putting the baler in the barn, the steering would barely respond, and the loader would stutter (but still work, albeit slowly) any time I tried to move it. This started happening any time the tractor got "hot," and would especially be exacerbated any time the tractor did anything which required the hydraulics (including using the PTO).

As I try to make sure I give everyone all the facts, we discovered before baling for the first time that one of the two rear hydraulic remotes for the tractor doesn't function correctly. The "outside" remote (furthest from the seat) does fine--it wound up hooked up to the gate on the baler. The "inside" remote, right next to the seat, will make the twine tie arm absolutely FLY in one direction (to the point that it's almost too fast to properly control), but will BARELY move it in the other. Hook it up "backwards", and it will FLY in the other direction, but will not move the tie arm at all in the first direction. It won't lift the baler's gate at all if hooked to it in either direction.

We tried every possible hook up combination, and that's the only one that would even "sorta" work (the outside remote on the gate, the inside remote on the tie arm, hooked up in a specific way). We tested the tie arm by hooking it to the "good" remote--worked fine in either direction. We even switched out the connector ends on the hoses--no change. The issue seems unaffected by whether or not the PTO is on. Also, we tried adjusting the "Rabbit/Turtle" knob on the remote boxes. The "good" one adjusts just fine. The "bad" one won't budge.

Could this issue be causing the oil to heat up, causing the stuttering/steering issues, etc.?

Then there's this:

https://youtu.be/d99jFLf8pmU

It doesn't translate very well on the video, unfortunately, but there is a "knocking" coming from the front end of the tractor. This knocking is very apparent at any RPM above 10,000, hot or cold engine. We noticed this knocking this summer, not long after our first baling experience.

Could the knocking the the cause, as in the hydraulic pump "going out," or is it a symptom of the main issue?

We also spent an afternoon with the hood off very thoroughly blowing out both the engine and hydraulic radiators. Dad also completely drained the hydraulic reservoir (replaced with Deere HyGard) and replaced the filters. Both these separately seemed to slightly lessen the stuttering and steering issue, but didn't eliminate it entirely.

Dad has spoken with a few machinery mechanics, old buddies of his from the highway department. They seem to think it could be related to the power steering, rather than an overall hydraulic issue. I'm not so sure, but I figured I would include that here, too.

Given all this, is there any narrowing down you all think we could do before we start tearing into the hydraulics?

Sounds to me like the pump is going. I had one do that at just over 10000 hours.
Not a big job to replace, remove rad and fuel tank exposes the pump. New ones are
around 1 grand for a reman.
Ben

Neighbor had a 2940 that at the end of the day would hardly raise a 4 row 7000 planter. Dealer spent a lot of money and finally tracked it down to a steel hyd oil pipe inside the trans with a hole. Tractor never was right again and he traded it on a 2955. Tom

The "knocking your hearing is more than likely the main hydraulic pump caveating/sucking air. You more than likely have multiple problems. The Remote/SCV valve that is not working correctly, more than likely has leaking internal valves. This will cause the hydraulic oil to heat up. You also seem to be losing charge pump/transmission oil pressure/flow as that is usually what makes the main pump make noise.

I am assuming you do not have hydraulic pressure gauges. So I will skip testing the charge pump/transmission pump circuit that way.

You did not say if the tractor has the Hi-Lo hydraulic shift or a hydraulic shuttle. So the simplest thing to check for is a broke PTO clutch line. The other two have steel line right next to the PTO clutch lines. Remove the shrouds so you can get to the gear shifter cover. The PTO clutch valve is in the cover too. Remove the bolts and lift the cover off. The PTO lines should be sticking up straight and kind of solid. They will be about 3/8 in diameter. If you have the Hi-Lo there will be bigger lines next to them. These lines crack and break. They will dump the charge pump oil back into the sump. This starves the main hydraulic pump for oil. The system will sometimes work when cold. I guess more flow????

Get yourself a manual. An IT one will at least get you started. You really need some pressure gauges and a flow meter to really figure out what the trouble is. Plus the knowledge to know what the gauges and flow meter tell you. You can figure it out IF you can learn hydraulic systems. Just that education "might" get costly. LOL

Your having the "common" hydraulic issues we talk about. If you run it very long this way you will spend more money fixing it later than now.

I will be blunt. I refuse to work on these tractors anymore if they have hydraulic issues. They are getting old enough that it usually is not just one thing wrong. So it is like digging worms. The more you dig the more you find. So you look like your fumbling the repair to your customer while the repair cost climbs. Often the customer can not afford to truly "fix it". So you look/feel bad and the customer spent a lot of money to still have troubles.

You already have stated you have one SCV valve issue along with a noisy main pump. That noise can be caused by several other things too. So just reading this shows that you have multiple troubles too.

Many main pumps get replaced when the real trouble is in the charge pump circuit. So diagnose before throwing money at a JD Mannheim tractor. Guessing on them gets costly fast.

I'm sorry--I did forget to mention that the machine has the hydraulic hi-lo shifter. Thing comes in handy in the field, not so much in the shop, from what I've read.

(quoted from post at 23:40:43 11/22/18) Many main pumps get replaced when the real trouble is in the charge pump circuit. So diagnose before throwing money at a JD Mannheim tractor. Guessing on them gets costly fast.

I'll 2nd what JD Seller stated that extensive diagnostics is necessary before considering replacing a hyd pump.

With 3 pt raised,engine running look inside hyd filler hole behind seat for moving oil. I didn't read where you checked/cleaned trans sump screen or checked to be sure hyd filter relief valve for being stuck open. Another easy thing to do is to cap power steering supply line then operate hyd's to determine if PS is causing hyd problem by internal leaking seals. What type loader valve controls FEL?

My 2 cents worth: I agree that many pumps are repaired/replaced when attempting to fix a closed center system like
the Mannheims use. I also agree that the first thing to repair is the SCV that is working incorrectly. (even though
its a Mannheim, Tim S will rebuild it for you), I would do it but the shipping to Canada and back makes it awkward.A
5000psi gauge with a male ISO tip plugged into the SCV will quickly prove the proper/inproper working of the valve.
Plug the gauge in, operate the valve to get 1500 psi on the gauge. Once the handle returns to nuetral the reading
should remain unchanged for at least a minute.
Start with that and then move forward. I would not be surprised with this being the only issue.
I have heard these stories of $10,000 hydraulic repairs. I hate to hear of that as its a bad deal for all. I have
fixed many of these machines over the years (and continue to do so) and at the worst spent 2/3 of that.
As far as Mannheims go I still say they will kick the butt of other utility tractors.

A water pump bearing getting loose will make one heck of a knocking noise. Engine shut off reach in and grab onto a fan blade try and wiggle it. Any play at all the bearing is bad.
The hyd. pump drive coupling can make lots of noise too when loose or worn. Not sure but maybe by the 2550 a different style might be on there than the older ones I'm familiar with.
Did you clean the suction screen in the bottom of the tranny when doing the oil and filter change ?

**1,000 RPM, not 10,000

Lots of good advice here, fellas! Much appreciated!

I will admit that I haven't been involved much in the repair of Mannheim machines, but I will have to agree with Tech 7--they run circles around their competitors in terms of ability in the field. I may change my tune by the time I have this thing field ready again, though...

I'll keep you fellers updated!

I come with an update!

I don't know the specifics, as Dad and our mechanic tackled the issue without my help (newborn baby at home), but I can give you the basics.

The SCV is poppet-style, and apparently one of the poppets inside the valve that "always has oil" was faulty--this caused the hydraulic oil to blow past it and heat up, robbing the system of hydraulic oil and causing the knocking in the front hydraulic pump.

After fixing a few other minor leaks on the machine, Dad drove it home the other day. He's convinced that our hydraulic problems are solved. I'm still a bit skeptical, but I have fed a couple of rolls of hay with it since it got back, and I can tell a *huge* difference in the "feel" of the hydraulics, especially the front-end loader. It's hard to describe, but they feel much "smoother." And the knocking in the front end has vanished.

Granted, feeding a couple rolls of hay hasn't really put the machine through its paces. Time will tell if we've fixed the issue for sure.

In any case, I'd like to give my sincere thanks to everyone who offered their advice!

I don't remember specifics, but we "diagnosed" that on another post here a couple of years ago, and it's plumbed the "right" way.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back