John Deere 3020 - 34" Rear Wheel Options

Good day!

We have a '64 3020 that is in need of new rear tires.

It's currently equipped with 18.4 - 30s in the rear & 10.00 - 16s in the front, used primarily for loader work hence the larger front tires....

Would like to install 34"s on the back to help level things out due to the 10.00 - 16s on the front & to gain a little speed as 5th fwd & rev are a bit slow with the 30's.

Hoping to do this with a 30" to 34" step rim I contacted a local wheel supplier, as well Unverferth, who both said that combination is not available, nor anything in the 30" wheel size for that matter. They were however able to build a custom flat plate style rim that would bolt to face of the existing factory cast center utilizing the holes for the clamp bolts.

Short of swapping out the original 30" cast centers for 34"s is there any other way to accomplish this or does anyone know of another supplier for 30" to 34" step up rims?

TIA

Somebody used to make longer lugs ,neighbor had a
1650 oliver that had 30 inch cast centers with 34
inch rims. I eyed those lugs wanting some that
were 1 inch so i could put 18.4x38 on my 4010

Would probably be cheaper to swap cast. Not a big demand
for them and many yards just scrap them.

I think these will work

https://www.agwheelexpress.com/store/c202/double-bevel-powershift-hardware/p2403/db-step-up-lug--jd-tractor/

Worthington Ag Parts p/n WN-STEPUPLUG

mvphoto43955.jpg

mvphoto43956.jpg

There you go. I thought somebody might be interested in something
like that..

Thanks for the links.

Those definitely look to be the simplest solution but I wonder if they'd work for a 30 to 34 conversion because of the 8 hole pattern on the 30" center vs the drive lug configuration on a 34" rim?

(quoted from post at 12:41:41 10/14/19) I think these will work

https://www.agwheelexpress.com/store/c202/double-bevel-powershift-hardware/p2403/db-step-up-lug--jd-tractor/

Worthington Ag Parts p/n WN-STEPUPLUG

mvphoto43955.jpg

mvphoto43956.jpg

Tom,

I'm from Medicine Hat, Alberta but can travel down to Havre, Montana(ZIP 59501) for shipping and receiving parts. Does that work for you?

(quoted from post at 13:48:19 10/14/19) Where are you located? I might trade you 34 inch centers for your 30's as I would like to make a 3020 standard (wheatland tractor). Tom

Thats the 1 i was refering to,oliver tad diffrent
but was thinking somebody made em for jd also

Isn't that just Murphy's law? Find a good deal but there always seems to be something ready to throw a monkey wrench into the plan......LOL

(quoted from post at 05:44:49 10/15/19) I think I am to far away as we live in the southwest corner of WI. Shipping would get expensive. Thanks anyway. Tom

Yep, I checked locally for R48955 castings with no luck. I guess I'll start to look further away....

Looking at the JD parts website I noticed they listed a an R21480 for an 18.4 - 34 tire under the 4020 section.

Anyone know what the difference is between the R48955 & R21480?

Also, can anyone confirm if the half sleeves(wedges) from my current 30" centers will work with the larger 34" centers?

TIA

(quoted from post at 05:54:30 10/15/19) Have you checcked for used JD castings? Since they seldom broke were reasonable at salvage yards.

(quoted from post at 08:44:49 10/15/19) I think I am to far away as we live in the southwest corner of WI. Shipping would get expensive. Thanks anyway. Tom

Sounds like your only 18 hours away. That would be a good day trip with a trailer. Not far at all for a good deal.

Just a thought :lol:

(quoted from post at 09:19:07 10/17/19)

Also, can anyone confirm if the half sleeves(wedges) from my current 30" centers will work with the larger 34" centers?

TIA

From reading parts remarks(B & C) it appears the wedges are different for the smaller vs larger cast rear wheels.

mvphoto44167.png

Thanks Jim! I missed that. I guess I forgot that it doesn't cost anything to pay attention... LOL

(quoted from post at 05:04:31 10/18/19)
From reading parts remarks(B & C) it appears the wedges are different for the smaller vs larger cast rear wheels.

Ttt

In preparation before I contact anymore tractor wreckers / salvage yards can anyone shed any light on whether there is more than 1 P/N for 34" cast centers and what the differences are? I.E. R48955 VS R21480?

Anyone know what the difference is between the R48955 & R21480?

I think that the most important think to convey is that you want a center for 3020 3-1/8'' short wedge.
The only optiion that would not work is a 34'' center made for 5020's long wedge.

Out west, where you are, it may be as easy to find 23.1R30 tires and centers from 4020 standard for dirt cheap. Thiis will give you the same stance. The 23-1 30 will give you more flotation but maybe too much in the mud. To cut roots and get to the hard pan while backing up trough manure, you will need more weight on the rear.

Thanks for the info on the wedges.

I'd considered the 23.1 - 30 tire option but I find the 18.4s "look" plenty wide on the tractor as it is. IMO the 23.1s would look noticeably out of place. Then on the other hand the tractor is far from a showpiece so........LOL

(quoted from post at 12:41:17 10/19/19) I think that the most important think to convey is that you want a center for 3020 3-1/8'' short wedge.
The only optiion that would not work is a 34'' center made for 5020's long wedge.

Out west, where you are, it may be as easy to find 23.1R30 tires and centers from 4020 standard for dirt cheap. Thiis will give you the same stance. The 23-1 30 will give you more flotation but maybe too much in the mud. To cut roots and get to the hard pan while backing up trough manure, you will need more weight on the rear.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back