John Deere 318

John Deere model 318 starter problem. When turning the ket to start it I get a grinding noise. Starter not engaging the flywheel. Had replaced the starter with a new one and now have replaced the flywheel and still have the same problem. You have to pull the engine to replace either one. Any ideas as what the problem might be?

John Deere model 318 starter problem. When turning the ket to start it I get a grinding noise. Starter not engaging the flywheel. Had replaced the starter with a new one and now have replaced the flywheel and still have the same problem. You have to pull the engine to replace either one. Any ideas as what the problem might be?
First of all, is it the earlier design with an "inertial starter drive", or the later engine with a "positive engagement" solenoid-shifted starter?

Upvote 0
With either style low voltage will cause an attempt at engaging the drive to the ring gear. (most often with the inertia drive. Make sure the battery voltage is both fully charged, and not compromised by low output. Bad corroded cables can also do the same. Jim

Upvote 0
Deere had an update for that problem. It was a relay kit.

Upvote 0

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back