John Deere 39 mower

James Fulton

New User

I recently purchased a 39N for $200. It is in decent shape. I got a great deal from the JD dealer on rock guards, 27 of them for 35.00; they wanted them out of the way. Other than that I replaced the teeth and it should be ready to go. My question is this, when I replaced the teeth the bar that they attach to warped when I removed the old teeth. I straightened it out as best as possible and installed the new teeth. Does this bar have to be perfectly flat and straight? Or will it wear itself into place? Thanks in advance for your help.
 
You need to get the sickle back as straight as possible to eliminate heat and excessive wear in operation.

A farm supply store like TSC should have a new one available for about 1/2 of dealer price, if your's is REALLY bad.

Next time you need to do major sickle renovation, it's a good idea to have a "sickle repair block", a sickle riveting tool, or a "sickle servicer". MUCH easier on the sickle's "back".
 
It can be straightened, if you yse the vise method to remove the old sections (NOT TEETH) you should not have those problems. Your consern now is in bending how much did it stretch as when bending and restraighting it will stretch as bit and if there are any gaps between the new sections from stretch it will be harder to keep the new sections tight. the sections should be a friction fit between each other
 
Thanks for the info. I ended up buying a piece of steel and making a new bar. It only took me about an hours worth of time on a bridgeport mill.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top