John Deere 4010 rear wheel locks up

Hello,
Yesterday while moving snow the right rear wheel on my 4010 locked up. This tractor gets minimal use due to being a gas and I do not have much ground to begin with. It was working fine fo around 5 to 10 minutes the started a slow grab for another 2 then got to the point where I had to use the opposite brake to get it to move. The hard lock lasted a few minutes then released like nothing was wrong. The issue seams to point to a brake issue but I am not sure ware to start looking. I seam to recall this occurring last winter as well. Rear end oil was changed 3 years ago along with the filter. Brake valve was resealed at this time as well, it is the early style valve. It did sit out 2 winters ago due to my shead being damaged in a storm. I was useing it this fall for several hours to move a dirt pile and there were no issues. Primary use for this tractor is snow removal and loader work likely 10 to 20 hours a year pending weather.

It could be brakes or a final drive/differential issue. Do you hear any rattles or bangs when it locks? I suggest you jack up the rear and try spinning the wheels by hand and actuate the RH brake and listen and look for final drive issues.

Next time it locks up loosen brake bleeder valve on inside of rear axle housing. If wheel then turns freely then brake valve is faulty. Another possibility is spider gear shafts in differential have failed.

Hello,
Yesterday while moving snow the right rear wheel on my 4010 locked up. This tractor gets minimal use due to being a gas and I do not have much ground to begin with. It was working fine fo around 5 to 10 minutes the started a slow grab for another 2 then got to the point where I had to use the opposite brake to get it to move. The hard lock lasted a few minutes then released like nothing was wrong. The issue seams to point to a brake issue but I am not sure ware to start looking. I seam to recall this occurring last winter as well. Rear end oil was changed 3 years ago along with the filter. Brake valve was resealed at this time as well, it is the early style valve. It did sit out 2 winters ago due to my shead being damaged in a storm. I was useing it this fall for several hours to move a dirt pile and there were no issues. Primary use for this tractor is snow removal and loader work likely 10 to 20 hours a year pending weather.
Thanks Dave and Jim, I was suspecting those areas but did not know how to identify which area to look at closer. It doesn't make additional noise when it locks up.

It is common on older tractors like this the brake valve boots rot out causing water / moisture to enter and rust the brake valve actuating sleeve which will stick in bore O-ring, not allowing valve to return all the way, and keep brake applied. If one of the two pedals are lower than the other that's most likely your problem.

My 4010 had a catastrophic differential failure while pulling a spreader down the road. Touched the brakes and the whole thing went sideways when the wheel locked up. I was able to get to the field, unload the spreader, and get home, but the tractor would lock up one wheel at random when using the brakes. Ended up junking it. 4010s are hard to justify spending much on, and I had spent ALOT on that one.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back