John Deere 430 T PTO

mb5805

New User
I recently purchased a 430 tri-cycle tractor. I have the owners manual. The PTO runs continuously no matter what position I put the lever in. Is the PTO brake not working? I cant hook anything to the PTO because I cant stop it from turning. What do I need to do?
 
No PTO brake? Has to be the three PTO clutch fingers are adjusted too tight, causing the PTO drive disk to -float turn- when PTO is disengaged. Need more clearance away from the PTO drive disk? For now, you can shutoff the tractor to hook up the PTO.
 
The 430 models could be ordered with Live or non-live PTO. Both versions engage the PTO with the little lever to the left of the shifter quadrant. It flips a coupling onto a set of splines that drive the PTO gears/shaft. Live PTO tractors engage the PTO by flipping the lever forward, Non-live tractors engage the PTO by flipping the lever backwards.

Non-live PTO tractors have a single stage clutch and the PTO turns as the transmission turns when the tractor is in gear (or when it is in neutral) and the PTO is engaged. When the PTO is not engaged the PTO shaft can still turn as there may be some drag in the transmission, but it should not have any power behind it.

Live-PTO tractors have a two stage clutch and the PTO can similarly turn when it is not engaged due to transmission drag. There is a separate drive shaft and gears dedicated to turning the PTO. Even if the clutch disc was stuck in the clutch you would need the coupling to be engaged to have power to the PTO.

With the tractor/engine NOT running flip the little lever both forward and backward that should engage the PTO and try to turn the shaft. If the pto will turn easily either forward or backward that should be the direction that disengages the PTO. One could also couple an implement to the shaft and see when/if it turns at both settings of the lever.
 
I recently purchased a 430 tri-cycle tractor. I have the owners manual. The PTO runs continuously no matter what position I put the lever in. Is the PTO brake not working? I cant hook anything to the PTO because I cant stop it from turning. What do I need to do?
To my knowledge there is no PTO brake for a 430T.
 
Those PTO shafts tend to turn all the time, but if the PTO is disengaged it's just coasting. The coupling that engages/disengages is in the bottom of the transmission and the gear oil acts as a fluid coupling. If the PTO is disengaged you can stop it from turning just by grabbing the shaft.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top