John Deere 435 tractor

67stepside

New User
Hello,
I have a 1960 JD435 with the GM 2-53 diesel in it. My Dad bought it in 2007 and it was running at the time but was blowing white smoke out the exhaust. Dad passed away before he really got to deep into what the tractor needs. I know the crankcase filled with diesel after a short time of sitting around. I'd like to dig into it and see if I can get it running. Who makes a good engine kit for it? Injectors, seals, maybe rings. I know the supercharger lobes have a little damage. Again, not sure what it needs yet. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks
 
You should be able to get engine parts from a Detroit Diesel dealer/ service center. They may need to order them in as I doubt there is much call for 2-53 parts.

If you are thinking of putting rings in it, think liner kits with new pistons and rings. Injectors are normally separate from engine kits. you want the head to go to a shop that knows how to do diesels.
 
Hello,
I have a 1960 JD435 with the GM 2-53 diesel in it. My Dad bought it in 2007 and it was running at the time but was blowing white smoke out the exhaust. Dad passed away before he really got to deep into what the tractor needs. I know the crankcase filled with diesel after a short time of sitting around. I'd like to dig into it and see if I can get it running. Who makes a good engine kit for it? Injectors, seals, maybe rings. I know the supercharger lobes have a little damage. Again, not sure what it needs yet. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks
What is your location?
 
I'm in South East Minnesota.
OK. I asked because there are a couple of GM two cycle gurus around the country, but I don't know about your area. I think if you could keep talking around until you find someone like that, you'll make out better in the long run. They already where to source parts and what to replace.
 
That would be ideal. I've rebuilt gas engines and 2 cycle snowmobile engines but this 2 cycle diesel with the mechanical injectors is a lot more complicated for sure.
 
Injectors for that one are not that expensive. The blower is a big deal to get done right if it was never upgraded.
 
Hello,
I have a 1960 JD435 with the GM 2-53 diesel in it. My Dad bought it in 2007 and it was running at the time but was blowing white smoke out the exhaust. Dad passed away before he really got to deep into what the tractor needs. I know the crankcase filled with diesel after a short time of sitting around. I'd like to dig into it and see if I can get it running. Who makes a good engine kit for it? Injectors, seals, maybe rings. I know the supercharger lobes have a little damage. Again, not sure what it needs yet. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks
The fuel forwarding pump that is bolted to the back of the engine . The oil/fuel seals and shaft maybe worn .
53 series service manuals are cheap on eBay .
Use N series injectors. N45 is lots . Factory S series are junk .
The crank snout may need a speedy sleeve .
The cam follower springs and valve springs have upgrades. Pistons hitting valves were too common . Use the updated 21 to 1 N series sleeves and pistons . The original S series are junk .
Blower housing needs to be machined to accept an upgraded oil seal .
Blower lobe timing is critical.
Replace the 2-53 oil pump with a 3-53 oil pump . If you want the engine to have oil pressure at idle . 2550rpm is max no load .
Remove the plate from the left side, upper front of the block . Check for a crack in the coolant passage . Preheat and weld with nickel rod . Replace plate with a coolant heater from Temro .
Use a 195F stat .
If anyone pours in multi weight oil . Take that person aside and slap them many, many times .
Use marine GL-4 marine synthetic oil in trans and finals .
Install an oval muffler from Deere .
Install 5:00-15 front tires , so the tractor does not have to drive uphill as much .
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top