John Deere 4430 And Air Drill

carsofarms

New User
Hi I am thinking about trying to run an air seeder with the 4430. It is a 45ft flexicoil 5000 cultivator that I might make into 27ft or so. The tank is a pull behind and might be around 130 bushels or so. The spacing is 7.2" and the openers are 2" spoons. Would this be to much of a hard pull for the 4430. I am sure it has the hydraulics to run the fan but would the hydraulic fluid get to warm and cause other issues. Such as lack of lubrication to the transmission and final drives.

Hi I am thinking about trying to run an air seeder with the 4430. It is a 45ft flexicoil 5000 cultivator that I might make into 27ft or so. The tank is a pull behind and might be around 130 bushels or so. The spacing is 7.2" and the openers are 2" spoons. Would this be to much of a hard pull for the 4430. I am sure it has the hydraulics to run the fan but would the hydraulic fluid get to warm and cause other issues. Such as lack of lubrication to the transmission and final drives.
One SCV may not' flow enough GMP with enough pressure ?

Upvote 0
Your 4430 likely has the 3cu" pump and not the 4Cu" pump
HYDRAULIC PUMP - MODEL GA1 50 CM3 (3 IN.3) (REPLACEMENT PUMP WITH SERIAL PLATE) [04B19]
70 HYDRAULICS > 70-14 - HYDRAULIC PUMP - MODEL GA1 50 CM3 (3 IN.3) (REPLACEMENT PUMP WITH SERIAL PLATE) [04B19]
keyboard_arrow_right
HYDRAULIC PUMP
Part Number AR94660
getImageBlob

HYDRAULIC PUMP - MODEL JA1 65 CM3 (4 IN.3) (REPLACEMENT PUMP WITH SERIAL PLATE) (POWER FRONT WHEEL DRIVE) [04B21]

Upvote 0
It has a 3cu" pump 20.6 gpm flow and a standby pressure of 2200 psi. A guy I know ran an air drill with a 4640 jd for a awhile. He ran 36' with a 110 bushel tow behind tank. He said he didn't think there was any issues with hydraulics. Those tractors were made to pull but there is such a thing as overdoing it. The guy also used to work summer follow with a jd 4430 with a 28' cultivator with sweeps. But 27' might pull hard with 130 bushels in the cart. The fan probably depends on the size of hydraulic lines, style of motor and how hot the hydraulic fluid would get. Overheating the fluid could lead to other issues but it does have a oil cooler in front of the radiator.

Upvote 0
It has a 3cu" pump 20.6 gpm flow and a standby pressure of 2200 psi. A guy I know ran an air drill with a 4640 jd for an awhile. He ran 36' with a 110 bushel tow behind tank. He said he didn't think there was any issues with hydraulics. Those tractors were made to pull but there is such a thing as overdoing it. The guy also used to work summer follow with a jd 4430 with a 28' cultivator with sweeps. But 27' might pull hard with 130 bushels in the cart. The fan probably depends on the size of hydraulic lines, style of motor and how hot the hydraulic fluid would get. Overheating the fluid could lead to other issues but it does have an oil cooler in front of the radiator.
After some time with the air compressor and hot water hose . I was all proud of myself thinking the 1640’s oil cooler was clean .

Later when the hood etc was removed and better access was obtained . I was disappointed to find the cores still half plugged with oily mud .

Which serial number ? Various stages of production used different spider gear designs in the pinion housing .

Upvote 0
its a 1976 model serial # 4430H 055395R. I guess when pulling a tractor a travel speed of 4.5mph or over is recommended probably to ease the torque on the drivetrain. If I can easily achieve a speed of 5mph I should be fine. But if I cant I would probably have to much of a load on the old girl.

Upvote 0
its a 1976 model serial # 4430H 055395R. I guess when pulling a tractor a travel speed of 4.5mph or over is recommended probably to ease the torque on the drivetrain. If I can easily achieve a speed of 5mph I should be fine. But if I cant I would probably have to much of a load on the old girl.
I had it in my head that JD updated the two pinion system during mid production, wrong . All 4430's were built two pinion. Actually the mid production mod was wider planetary gears .
The four pinion design started in the 40 series .
The 4430 pinion service updates were originally the four pinion system . Then later the three pinion update was found to be the most reliable design .

Upvote 0
I think you will struggle to pull that setup unless your terrain is flat and you have firm ground. 4430s aren't exactly the gutsy tractors JD made, 2 wheel drive don't help and the cart being tow behind doesn't help either meaning its nothing but dead weight. I've pulled our 30ft air seeder and 190 bu tow between cart with a 145 PTO hp tractor but it had MFWD. Plus I was seeding mustard so the cart wasn't full. Still that pretty much maxed that tractor out. I now pull that same drill with a 180 pto hp tractor with the cart full. Handles it fine.

Upvote 0
We have some hills around here but not to bad. But I could run into issues a 28' cultivator working Sumer fallow back in the day was probably enough load without a tank pulling behind. Having the 4430 maxed right out day and night might not be healthy for it. Plus having to shift up and down all the time on hills could wear on the 2 speed. Also could burn some tread off of the tires. We have sandy land in our area so people also didn't work ground as deep as some other places. I have worked ground with a 4440 and 25' cultivator with sweeps without duals. The tires did slip a bit but it did do it. The tires were 20.8's

Upvote 0

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back