John Deere 4640 and 540 pto ?

carsofarms

New User
Hi I am wondering if you can get 540 pto for a 4640. I ran a 4640 on a 540 rpm before with a pto shaft adapter and didn't like it. Implement runs to fast and tractor has to be at low idle. Is there a pto reduction that is designed to fit on the back of these tractors so you can run a 540 pto speed normally. Just curios may be a dumb question.

Hi I am wondering if you can get 540 pto for a 4640. I ran a 4640 on a 540 rpm before with a pto shaft adapter and didn't like it. Implement runs to fast and tractor has to be at low idle. Is there a pto reduction that is designed to fit on the back of these tractors so you can run a 540 pto speed normally. Just curios may be a dumb question.
Speed reducer units were made back in the 1980's to mount over the tractor's 1000 RPM stub and deliver 540 RPM output based on the engine running around 2000 RPM. Probably would take Powerball type luck to find one now. As for converting the tractor I have never heard of it being done so must be impossible to graft a 4440 PTO assembly on for example.

Speed reducer units were made back in the 1980's to mount over the tractor's 1000 RPM stub and deliver 540 RPM output based on the engine running around 2000 RPM. Probably would take Powerball type luck to find one now. As for converting the tractor I have never heard of it being done so must be impossible to graft a 4440 PTO assembly on for example.
Buy a ticket because I have one.

https://www.farmshow.com/a_article.php?aid=4351

Some info on the Hub City units.

Thanks for the reply's. Was considering getting a 4640. If I did I would have to find one of those reducers so I could still be able to run 540 at normal speed if that's what I end up doing.

Thanks for the reply's. Was considering getting a 4640. If I did I would have to find one of those reducers so I could still be able to run 540 at normal speed if that's what I end up doing.
Price a reducer before you buy the tractor, it will probably cost close to $5,000 new and there are very few used units available (never sold well). The same $5,000 can buy an older tractor with 540 PTO or 540/1000 PTO.

540 PTO drives are designed to handle what, 75 HP or less? Most people are ahead using a smaller tractor for 540 PTO work or upgrading implements to 1000 PTO.

Yeah I don't typically need the horse power the 4640 offers. Even if you hope to pull a tillage implement that is to big for a smaller tractor there are ways to down size them to the proper hp requirements.

Price a reducer before you buy the tractor, it will probably cost close to $5,000 new and there are very few used units available (never sold well). The same $5,000 can buy an older tractor with 540 PTO or 540/1000 PTO.

540 PTO drives are designed to handle what, 75 HP or less? Most people are ahead using a smaller tractor for 540 PTO work or upgrading implements to 1000 PTO.
5,000 dollars will not buy much of a tractor especially over 60 PTO HP. And it will most likely lack the hydraulics that the 4640 has.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back