John Deere 5115M won't start

IndianaAg

New User
We changed the fuel filters and the 2014 John Deere 5115M tractor ran great. We shut it down and went to restart it and it won't start for some time. I'm guessing air in the system? but tech says it needs a "check-valve"? Seems coincidental?

Your title says ''John Deere 5115M won't start''. Your post reads, ''We changed the fuel filters and the 2014 John Deere 5115M tractor ran great. We shut it down and went to restart it and it won't start for some time.''

So are you saying it won't start at all now. Or are you saying it takes more cranking, before starting, since you changed the filter?

Have you checked that the filter sealed properly? How long did you run it before shutting it off after you changed the filter? Have you tried bleeding the system?

Is there a chance it is low on fuel; stranger things have happened.

Actual John Deere tech? Did he work on it, or just tell you that. If he worked on it, why didn't he install a new one?

As for the check valve itself. It could be it has failed; they do have one (AL117189) shown in the suction line from the tank. I looked and the local dealer has 4 in stock (at about $50 each), so it might be a common failure. If you can find it in the line, you should be able to check it or replace it.

(quoted from post at 15:43:15 12/16/23)
Your title says ''John Deere 5115M won't start''. Your post reads, ''We changed the fuel filters and the 2014 John Deere 5115M tractor ran great. We shut it down and went to restart it and it won't start for some time.''

So are you saying it won't start at all now. Or are you saying it takes more cranking, before starting, since you changed the filter?

Have you checked that the filter sealed properly? How long did you run it before shutting it off after you changed the filter? Have you tried bleeding the system?

Is there a chance it is low on fuel; stranger things have happened.

Actual John Deere tech? Did he work on it, or just tell you that. If he worked on it, why didn't he install a new one?

As for the check valve itself. It could be it has failed; they do have one (AL117189) shown in the suction line from the tank. I looked and the local dealer has 4 in stock (at about $50 each), so it might be a common failure. If you can find it in the line, you should be able to check it or replace it.

Thank you for responding. Changed the filters and then ran the tractor for 45 minutes to an hour. (Not hard). Turned the tractor off and the tractor would not restart until maybe an hour later. I called the tech (a JD tech and friend in another state) and he simply said it sounds like air in the system and that a failed check valve with the timing of the filter change would be odd. I do want to check the filter seal and rebleed the system. I'm just struggling with a part being the cause coincidental with the filter change. I do agree that we might just as well change the check-valve and put that behind us. I forgot to mention that the 2013-14 model only has about 1,600 hours on it. Again, thank you for your reply!

Your tech/friend may well have seen it before.

I understand your thoughts on the timing of the issue, but it just could be the way it is. Check valve issues in many liquid systems can show up after a system has been opened, disturbing how the valve has been operating for hours. It may have stopped working properly a while back, but since the system was full and clear of air other components helped prevent fuel drain back. Now the filter change opened the fuel line/system and it alone had to hold everything. I don't know how those check valves are built internally but it wouldn't take much to keep a plunger from seating properly.

Short of the filter seal or a bleeder screw seal failing,
the check valve may be the cheapest repair, compared to the transfer or injector pump. A chaffed hole it the fuel line between the tank and check valve could cause a problem but I would expect at least some dampness along the line if that was the case.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back