John Deere 60 block repair

Smurfy064

New User
I have a John Deere 60 had major rust damage in the bottom water jacket on both sides of the block, I’ve welded it up with brass and it got the majority of the leaking stopped, my question is what kind of product (JB Weld or similar), might work to get it to completely stop? I’ve used liquid glass in years past but I think this is still too much for that application to work. These were not cracks, they were holes the size of a silver dollar that I welded up, just to not confuse y’all 🧐

Any info will be appreciated!!!

Best pic I could get
IMG_1463.jpeg

Well don’t take this the wrong way but I’d toss that thing and find a good used one. That will take care of the leak UNLESS it happens to be coming out a manifold bolt hole. That water looks a bit high up there but hard to tell exactly where it’s coming from our could dry the thing out scrape all the paint off and cover the thing with epoxy and just about any will do for this we used a loctite came in a tall grey can with a bunch of little cups and stir sticks. Not saying it’s a permanent fix but if you had to. You covered quite a bit already though...

Last edited:
Well don’t take this the wrong way but I’d toss that thing and find a good used one. That will take care of the leak UNLESS it happens to be coming out a manifold bolt hole. That water looks a bit high up there but hard to tell exactly where it’s coming from our could dry the thing out scrape all the paint off and cover the thing with epoxy and just about any will do for this we used a loctite came in a tall grey can with a bunch of little cups and stir sticks. Not saying it’s a permanent fix but if you had to. You covered quite a bit already though...
Much appreciated validation of what I thought I was gonna need to do!
thanks again

Good job welding.. I would clean up the area, clean clean.. Try JB weld , work in good, let dry and cure.. That cooling system does not have that much pressure... Good job done so far..

A product similar to jb weld is called Belzona. The mechanics at the waste water treatment plant would rebuild worn down impellers in big sewage pumps. It gets so tough that the machinist would have to turn some of them to true up the repair. Check it out. Of course last resort would be to replace the block, but I think you will get it without doing that, you've proved your can do attitude with those repairs. gobble

A product similar to jb weld is called Belzona. The mechanics at the waste water treatment plant would rebuild worn down impellers in big sewage pumps. It gets so tough that the machinist would have to turn some of them to true up the repair. Check it out. Of course last resort would be to replace the block, but I think you will get it without doing that, you've proved your can do attitude with those repairs. gobble
I am familiar with the use of Belzona products at the refinery I work at. I am not 100 percent certain of this but I am going to say you will not want to seek it out due to it being quite cost prohibitive. I would recommend JB Kwik, looks like the off the shelf price is $7-9, even if you need two tubes of each I doubt you could touch any Belzona product for less than $50 and probably more likely a $100.

i truly appreciate all the help guys, gonna get it cleaned up some more and see what works…..I’ll let y’all know!!!

i truly appreciate all the help guys, gonna get it cleaned up some more and see what works…..I’ll let y’all know!!!
My uncle has a Farmall 300 that froze a pushed out a section in the top of the cylinder head. I cut a metal plate about 1 1/4” x 2” if I remember right and I used Lock N Stitch to place the plate in the broken area. However, pressure checking the head it still showed some leak spots. I covered the stitch seam with JB Weld and that sealed it. That was about 40 years ago still, holding. Recently he reported the tractor has some valve troubles.

Same stuff is used in the nuclear industry . On the conventional side in open loop circuits ,for pumps moving silty lake water .

heck of a good job u have done there brazing that up. there is devcon out there which is better than jb weld. not many can do that job anymore, not yet upside down .(y)

I think he has a large shop with a big overhead crane to hoist the nose of his tractor up so he could braze it in the vertical position off a step ladder! :oops:
Just kidding, it is a very good brazing job!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back