John Deere 60 clutch

I've adjusted the clutch on my 1956 JD60 many times and I still get a jumpy movement when I engage it. It has a nice snap to it either engaging or disengaging and I've been very careful to adjust the bolts equally. I have pulled the disc and they appear to be flat and I've blown out the dust and grime. What am I doing wrong or is there something else I should do until I have to tear it completely down.

I'd put new inner & outer facing discs and new facing disc in as it's not either that expensive or difficult. Just looked in Steiner catalog and maybe $70 for all three.

I'd put new inner & outer facing discs and new facing disc in as it's not either that expensive or difficult. Just looked in Steiner catalog and maybe $70 for all three.
Thanks for your response. You're right. Changing out the disc at this point would save a whole lot of cussin during a complete tear down!!

Check your clutch driver and see if the bolt is still tight. Better yet take the bolt out and make sure the driver isn't flush with the crank. If the driver is loose it can cause it to not run true with the crank and make the clutch jumpy

Springs too 3 of them. Be sure and check that your evenly tight is evenly tight. Straight from the old book. "Tension is determined by effort required to turn nuts. The bolts may project beyond nuts unequal distances when tension is equal with clutch engaged." You have 3 springs one might be about to fail I've seen them completely fall apart when the nut is taken off the back. So all right to say as an engineer 100 years ago but in practice with tractors that age not so much. What I do is with a NEW or KNOWN good set of springs like I just put them on less than 5 years ago is tighten the nuts to first engagement. Then I count turns or flats. As long as the springs are consistent the turns will be consistent. Then just make sure you have 80 lbs on the end of the lever to get that good snap. Away you go. Especially if you are putting a new wear pad in there check the nut. Check the flywheel on the other side a little more difficult than mine on the old unstyled where I can just grab it.

I've adjusted the clutch on my 1956 JD60 many times and I still get a jumpy movement when I engage it. It has a nice snap to it either engaging or disengaging and I've been very careful to adjust the bolts equally. I have pulled the disc and they appear to be flat and I've blown out the dust and grime. What am I doing wrong or is there something else I should do until I have to tear it completely down.

The three T bolts sometimes get "shoulders" worn into them when the clutch disks rattle back and forth with the clutch disengaged. You may want to remove the pully, remove the T bolts to ensure they are smooth. The clutch may jump as it locks up when the clutch plates "jump" over the ridges on the T bolts. I have carefully removed these ridges with a bench grinder, a more expensive solution is new T bolts.

The service manual does recommend checking the crankshaft endplay at regular intervals .

Take out the three T adjusting bolts.. Take a drill bit and clean out these bolt holes.. The holes get coated with clutch disc dust.. Clean out so all three T bolts are free of binding in there holes.. Result, no more jumpy clutch..

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back