john deere 650 hydraulic issues.

tallking

New User
New to tractors and having issues. I bought a 80's John Deere 650 4x4 with 2000 hrs on the meter. It came with several 3 point implements and an Allied 180 loader. I have had it 2 years. The first issue I noticed was when raising the 3 pt finish mower (5 ft), you have to move the lever very slowly and it will jerk while raising. Also with the loader, when trying to pick up a small load, the loader will quit responding (lifting). I have to work the levers on/off. After a couple of minutes, it will move slightly. Then as I keeps moving the lever, it will start moving more until it will operate normally. Some times if I curl the bucket until it stops. It will also stop responding. It will lower all the time. I have changed the fluid and cleaned the screen. seemed to help for a short time. Any ideas would be helpful.

I too have a 650, good little tractor. There is a strainer near the bottom of the transmission housing on the
right side behind a triangle shaped plate. Drain the oil and remove the plate and then remove and clean the
strainer. Reinstall the strainer and cover with a good O-ring and if you have power steering
there is an external filter on some of those lines also. I had to add the power steering when I put a loader on
mine you almost couldn't steer it with a bucket of dirt or rocks. I sold the loader when I got a
backhoe/loader and took the power steering off and it is in a box on the shelf now.

Cleaned the strainer. No change. This past weekend I was moving a small pile of dirt to level out the ground. The pile of dirt was about 10 inches tall from level. I moved in with the loader bucket level in 2nd gear. I moved in to the pile about 12 inches and hit a root about 3 inches in diameter. It stopped the tractor from moving. When I back up and tried to lift the bucket, it would not lift. There is no noise as if the pressure is too high. I backed up and tried to curl the bucket up. It would not respond. After 4 - 5 minutes, if I bump the lever for curl up or lift up, it will bump up slightly. It takes another 2 - 3 minutes before the loader will go up like it is supposed to.

The operator's manual will explain where and when for points of service and maintenance. 1-800-544-7448.
The free parts book on the JD web site will show optional valves, SCV blocks etc.
Who knows how the previous owners plumbed in the hydraulics and what kind of valves they used.
Should be open center valves and plumbed open center.
These systems need a relief valve but it has to be in the proper place and set to the proper pressure .

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/1/1/113-john-deere-650.html

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/navigation/equipment/71728/level/2/snp/MTQyMTgxNDpDSEFQVEVSWzExNTU6I0JVU0lORVNTX1JFR0lPTiwyODIyOiNDQVRBTE9HLDcxNzI4OkVRVUlQTUVOVF0

(quoted from post at 05:45:31 04/14/20) I too have a 650, good little tractor. There is a strainer near the bottom of the transmission housing on the
right side behind a triangle shaped plate. Drain the oil and remove the plate and then remove and clean the
strainer. Reinstall the strainer and cover with a good O-ring and if you have power steering
there is an external filter on some of those lines also. I had to add the power steering when I put a loader on
mine you almost couldn't steer it with a bucket of dirt or rocks. I sold the loader when I got a
backhoe/loader and took the power steering off and it is in a box on the shelf now.
do you still have the power steering and will you sell it if so call me 865 255 5131

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back