Thoughts on John Deere 2130...?

JclanFarm

New User
Found a John Deere 2130 for $3800. What should I look for on this tractor? Any specific issues or items of concern for these tractors? It's a bare tractor, no loader or cab. Seller indicates injector pump was recently rebuilt and that it runs strong. Any help would be appreciated. I may put a loader on it in the future if I buy it. Any concerns there?

Thanks for your input!

It will cost less and wrk better over the next 20 years to use the $3800 as a down payment on this with M4WD and a loader .
The 2130 could have 48 years worth of problems .
https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/navigation/equipment/70311/srch/HYDRAULIC%20valve

Link takes me to JD PC for 850 tractor. 850 is a toy compared to 2130 if it is
Canadian equal to 2030 in USA at 60 horsepower???

Check condition & PH of antifreeze. Poor coolant condition can cause electrolysis to eat holes in engine cylinder liners. Check operation of hyd system after engine has reached operating temp. MFWD make operating loaders better especially in adverse conditions BUT before MFWD was introduced many farmers utilized 2 wheel drive tractors feeding livestock & harvesting crops. I've owned a 64 pto HP tractor with FEL & MFWD that I purchased used in 2012 that hasn't had MFWD engaged very many times & this tractor has handled many 100's of rd bales

(quoted from post at 10:53:43 12/08/23)
It will cost less and wrk better over the next 20 years to use the $3800 as a down payment on this with M4WD and a loader .
The 2130 could have 48 years worth of problems .
https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/navigation/equipment/70311/srch/HYDRAULIC%20valve

With all due respect, the JD 850 appears to be a toy in comparison. Recommending a 25HP compact utility tractor over a 79HP utility tractor is like comparing apples & oranges.

Do you have experience with a JD 2130 or is this personal preference?

Thank you for your thoughts though...

(quoted from post at 15:01:54 12/08/23) Link takes me to JD PC for 850 tractor. 850 is a toy compared to 2130 if it is
Canadian equal to 2030 in USA at 60 horsepower???

Sorry , I have been making more fumble finger errors that ever .
Since loosing the fine motor control and some of the touch sensations . With nerve damage from C o V I d .
If you do don t
Order M4WD on a loader tractor . You will always wish that you had .

https://www.deere.ca/en/tractors/utility-tractors/5-family-utility-tractors/

One of my favorite Deere utility tractors. What are you looking to do with it? I agree that in this day and age MFWD is a great advantage especially when using a loader but if you need MFWD to cut roadsides something is wrong.
Yes they can be 40+ years old, but 5 year old machines can have issues as well. The wet sleeve engine can/will have liner issues and the hydraulics really don't like cheap oil. I would have no problem putting one to work here.

The 2120 is equivalent to a US 2030. 2130s sold here in Canada had the 239 engine vs the 219 and had a higher platform and rated at 66 hp. Both were very good tractors, mine has 11000 hours and still runs strong. Can't go wrong with a good one.

Ben

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back