John Deere A flywheel nut

Rich Taracka

New User
Hi,
does anyone know where I might find the large stamped steel nut that threads on to the crankshaft holding the flywheel on a John Deere Model A?
Thanks,
Rich
 
jd probably has them, but try marlyn smith at 712-489-2570 nights. he's a nice guy to deal with. if you talk to him tell him jone in ala says merry christmas.
 
all that nut does is help make it easier to set crank endplay ...it does NOT hold the flywheel on....set your the crank endplay [clearence] & tighten flywheel bolts & forget about that tin nut....if you're losing sleep over it I'll send you one off one of my doner tractors....Kent
 
Well it actually does do more then help tighten the end play.

On the older tractors without this even with a tight fylwheel sometimes they want to "walk off" the crank increasing end play.

I have seen many pullers have to drill and tap the crank end on early tractors to put a bolt and washer in there to help keep theirs from walking off.
 
Hi Mike ; on both my "G's" I have drilled & tapped the crank...point I was making was that for years there was no tin nut & a 120# flywheel is not going to be stopped by a tin nut..point being keep the flywheel tight...didn't want the poster to think that the nut was all that was holding the flywheel on...service manual describes it as a adj. devise...Merry Christmas ..Kent
 
One more question...
How should the the clamp bolts on the flywheel be??? I'm guessing as tight as I can make them but there's no torque spec in my service manual and I wanted to ask before I broke something.
Thanks,
Rich
 
(quoted from post at 12:55:33 12/24/08) One more question...
How should the the clamp bolts on the flywheel be??? I'm guessing as tight as I can make them but there's no torque spec in my service manual and I wanted to ask before I broke something.
Thanks,
Rich

Rich, if you do that, you'll soon be looking for a flywheel. Tried that once. Had a flywheel that wouldn't stay tight. Thought I'd be smart and get some grade 8 bolts and torque it down more. Wrong answer. Cracked the flywheel.

Go to Deere, get the two new bolts/nuts, pretty sure they are grade 5. Torque should be 225 (lubricated).
 
no it dont, its only design intent was for adjustment assistance. if your flywheel is walking off its loose! period! hence the word "walking". the pullers do that for safety; they rarely run at stock rpm.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top