John Deere A leather piston cup

My Powr-trol will not hold pressure. I have read that is it usually the piston cup (leather gasket). I took it apart and it doesn't look bad but I want to replace it. Does anybody know where I can purchase one? According to the parts book it is PN F310R.

Vince

Somewhere I have (or had) one remaining original Powr-Trol cup. It was also used on a "G" and possibly "B" models.

It is possible to find a synthetic (Neofab) replacement from some sources, possibly here: https://www.baumhydraulics.com/Category/Items/35#group=jplist-productlist&paging=0-12

(quoted from post at 18:56:41 02/13/23) My Powr-trol will not hold pressure. I have read that is it usually the piston cup (leather gasket). I took it apart and it doesn't look bad but I want to replace it. Does anybody know where I can purchase one? According to the parts book it is PN F310R.

Vince

I don't think F310R is the correct part number, A626R for the older style, A3956R for the newer style cup.

Both appear to be still available from DEERE.

Using Wore Out's part numbers I was able to find the leather cup on eBay at $90. JD wanted $110. The parker one was $10 so I ordered a couple of them to see if they work (I have two tractors).

Vince

(quoted from post at 09:48:24 02/14/23) Using Wore Out's part numbers I was able to find the leather cup on eBay at $90. JD wanted $110. The parker one was $10 so I ordered a couple of them to see if they work (I have two tractors).

Vince

Which part number did you order, the A626R?

You must not be in the USA, the DEERE price here is some $80, and the price of the A3956R is just over $20.

Vince,

If the cup you ordered turns out to be the right one for your Powr-Trol, soak it in oil for a day and then use a ring compressor or large hose clamp to install the piston back into the cylinder. You mentioned you have two tractors, the A, B, and G use different size cups.

If a new cup doesn't solve your problem there are two other things that could be the problem. One is a blown gasket that goes between the cylinder and the front of the rockshaft housing. To replace the gasket you have to remove the rockshaft housing. The gasket is p/n A623R. Soak it in oil for a day. One of the symptoms of a blown gasket is having to frequently add oil to the Powr-Trol.

The second thing is the check valves in the Powr_Trol valve body need cleaning or replacement. Get a 2-cyl hydraulics manual (SM-2011) before you get into this area.

I hope a new cup solves your problem.

I got both the leather cup and the parker synthetic cup from Baum. I could not get the leather cup to fit, even after soaking it in oil and using a ring compressor. The Baum cup came without holes drilled in it. After drilling the holes it was easy to install the piston. The Powr-Trol now lifts much faster, but is still leaks down, about an inch every 20 seconds or so. I don't know how long they should take to leak down. If that's excessive, then the problem is probably in the check valves.

Vince

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back