John Deere A Transmission Fluid

Bjt0055

New User
Good morning. Recently became owner of a 1950 A. Got it running good. Now onto fluids...I've read much on this and there seems to be so many different/conflicting recommendations between weights, etc. My biggest concern is the gl1 vs gl5 debate. I was able to get gl1 90wt easy enough but seems harder to get. I'm leaning towards 85/140 but that will be gl5.

Any recent updates or recommendations that others have been using?

Thanks
 
I used gl1 90wt in my old Ford tractor transmissions. It is mineral for yellow metal compatibility. It's just not locally available so I'd prefer to switch to 85-140 but that is going to be a gl5 type.
 
80-90 is one of the most common gear oils used in piles of equipment around the world. i am not following what else you would need in them slow turning gears. plus its not like your going to be out in the field for 10-12 hrs a day pulling a load. that is where the thicker oils like 140 help. plus when these tractors were new it was 90 or 140 single grade oils. pretty sure you dont want a GL1 oil in there. put some engine oil in your 1/2 ton differential and see how far you get.
 

80-90 is what I used. I start reading about things like this on the internet and other individuals comments and then I question my initial thoughts on what to use thanks
 
If the first reduction gear is getting noisy from normal wear 85-140 will quiet it down somewhat. Otherwise 80-90 will do just fine.
 
(quoted from post at 23:04:52 04/24/22) not even close to gear oil. its an engine oil , totaly different oil.

Have a look again again .
Motor oil is rated GL-4 and is yellow metal friendly . Often spaced for use in manual transmissions .

More than enough for a transmission that was specked for use with just GL-1 .
 
(quoted from post at 10:54:10 04/24/22) 80-90 is one of the most common gear oils used in piles of equipment around the world. i am not following what else you would need in them slow turning gears. plus its not like your going to be out in the field for 10-12 hrs a day pulling a load. that is where the thicker oils like 140 help. plus when these tractors were new it was 90 or 140 single grade oils. pretty sure you dont want a GL1 oil in there. put some engine oil in your 1/2 ton differential and see how far you get.



Have a look again .
Most Motor oil is rated GL-4 and is yellow metal friendly . Often speced for use in manual transmissions .
No where did I state that using GL-4 motor oil in a diff requiring GL-5 is a good idea .
How do you manage to imagine such silliness ?

GL-4 motor oil is More than enough for a transmission that was specked for use with just GL-1 .
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top