John Deere Batteries

big jt

Well-known Member
Is anyone else having problems with them.

Been having a string of bad luck myself. Replaced the Combines the third time couple months ago, one in my Case 2294 bout a month ago, now third time in my Semi.

Usually right at a year but some of that is due to inactivity (sets for couple months and then of course they are bad). Switched from Napa bout 15 years ago and have had real good luck with Deere batteries till a couple years ago.

Parts man at local dealer has been good about warranties but I am getting sick and tired of replacing them.

I know Exide makes for deere but different companies spec stuff different.

What brand do the rest of you out in YT land have good luck with?
 
Replaced a couple in a 3055 about 2 years ago, & still going strong. They may have changed manufactures; which is probably their biggest problem!
 
Believe it or not...I have a TSC bat.. going on the 4th year with it. I have never wanted to spend the $$$ for J.D. ( for my 3020) I have used SAMS club, and TSC batteries in the 14 years Ive owned this tractor with usually only lasting about 2 years. I do however use religiously maintainers in the winter months.. so...
 
My experience from anything made by Exide was crap. Two pickups and a car. In a six mounth period they go to heck. Then if you charged then , wouldn't take a charge and maybe start the vehicle about once. Take them back to our local hardware dealer where they were bought and

he always want to try to charge them frist and then put a test on and claim it was the vehicles fault. No way all three are going to be at fault.
After three time back, he offered to do the prorate thing which was only a few dollars then a new battery. I told if he could do any better that after three batteries going to the dogs in such a short period of time, he could put them where the sun don't shine. He still refused to do full warranty..I use napa batteries for several years now a had good luck.. allthogh I did have one that went to heck in two years and I got the truck started and drove it up there. Told him about it and he went right out the door with his tester ,came back in the store, grabbed a battery off the shelf ,put it in for me and sent me on my way. No paper work or nothing.. That was service at its best.NO MORE EXIDE CRAP FOR ME. At least the napa guy didn't put that charge in that would last for 10 minutes and then try to say it was the vehicles fault.
 
I've had real good luck with Interstate batteries- except for the marine battery that I use to power my trolling motor- stupid thing jumped out of the back of my pickup and landed on its corner on the concrete boat launch, and cracked the case. Don't know why it would turn on me like that. . .

I started buying Interstate because my mechanic sells them, and I try to support him as best I can. Outstanding mechanic, been with him 30 years, most honest man alive. You gotta cultivate someone like that.
 
We use Farm and Fleet batteries in everything. I know they're made by someone else but we've been using them for 40 years with no problems and priced right too. Ford 7700 gets 10 years on a battery. The only battery I have ever had go bad in warranty period was a Deere battery in my wife's car and it's not like that sits for very long LOL.
 
Sounds to me like they are electrically being drained down when the machines are not being used. If you are in a frozen climate lie I am, that is FATAL. Try disconnecting them next time the machine will not be used for a period and see what happens. Or, install a couple of good-quality float chargers.

BTW, do you keep them free of dirt and debris that can get damp and conductive and cause an electrical drain right at the battery. Same for any other electrical terminal areas on the machine.
 
Ther are only about 3 Manufactures Johnson Controls, n Exide, and another Slips My mind right now, But i also like interstate, Batts, I have One in a truck, I KNOW it is 12Yrs old, and still crankin'. Larry
 
There are several levels of JD batteries. They are still made by Exide. They are made to JD specs. If you batteries are low in charge and they set in cold/freezing weather the battery will go bad. I do not care what brand it is.

You need to check amp hour reserve,cold ranking amps. This is what sets batteries apart. Having high cranking amps does not mean that it will work good for a heavy load like a diesel engine.

Also batteries plates are anchored differently for tractors than car/trucks. Tractor batteries are anchored at the base for protection from vibration. Car or truck batteries are anchored in the middle for motion protection, stops and starts.

Use the wrong type in the incorrect place and the plates will not last like they should.

Exide makes John Deere, Ford Motor Craft, and CIH batteries. Buddy hauls them from the Manchester plant every week.
 
My blood runs red but every battery in every piece of equipment is a JD strong box. Last two sets I bought I had problems with, both within the last year. Not sure which direction I'm going yet. I sell interstate in my auto repair shop so I think I'm gonna try them next.

Casey in SD
 
My preference is Interstates. I've had good luck in the past with Napa branded Exides. Lately the Deere batteries are pure junk. New machines come in from the factory with dead batteries.
 
The JD battery was / is made by Exide. The only ones I have heard complaints about were the Hibernator. Many said the hibrtnation seems to be permanent. I suspect those might have been saved by a battery maintainer.

The only Exides I use are the spiral cell AGM Exide Orbital, and have very good luck with them, some at 15 years old.
 
John, you know your stuff when it comes to maintaining batteries so I'm sure you have checked everything out. It seems like batteries come and go regularly on this farm but lately I've been using Interstate with fairly good results. There has to be a reason why the local CIH dealer sells Interstates instead of their own brand. Jim
 
I had a deep cycle Deka that I thought was going bad. I took it to the Deka people in Madison Tn and I could not asked for any better service. Trolling motor batteries don't have a long life to start with but mine liked about 1 week being out of warranty. They replaced it. Guy that took it out of my truck thumped it line a watermelon as he was taking it out and said it was low of charge. It may have been my chargers were not doing a proper job of charging a deep cycle battery. Nicest people I ever dealt with on that type of issue.
 
In November of 2011 I purchased a Front End loader from Brooks Tractor, a JD dealer in Sun Prairie Wi. Batteries were old and dead so they put two new JD batteries in it. Never used it either winter, just one summer. Went to start it the other day, one battery had 12 volts, but went right to nothing with the load tester. I didn't think that was good life for a new battery.
DWF
 
Jim thanks for the compliment. I would like to say
that these have been cared for painstakingly but I
can't. Only thing is that hasn't changed. The only
variable here is the battery.

Gonna see what the local Navistar dealer handles
tommorrow and try them for the Semi and likely go
with Interstate next time I have Deere batteries out
of warranty.
 
Update on Semi batteries.

I had left them with the dealer so they could do the charge and check thing. Not a huge deal as my gravel trip was shot for the day anyhow. I kept asking the parts manager whether these would be warranteed due to being 1 year and 2 months old. Never did get a answer and when I went back he had left for the day. Parts man checked them and of course they were bad then he goes about figuring the pro rated thing. $38 credit per battery. These are $175 dollar batteries. I asked him what he would do with the luck I have been having. Of course he recognized why I am going elsewhere.

jt
 
I got ten years out of my last set of hibernators in my 4020 and then the only reason I had to replace em because the cable got loose and melted the post off. I had a strong box go bad in my pickup wouldn't hold a charge so I put it on the charger at 6 amps for about 7 days and luckily it came back to life I left it in the truck over winter and it went dead and froze
Its in the Muir hill now and seems to be working fine
 
Ive got the factory battery in a JD lawnmower I bought from my brother last year, been in there since he bought it new in 06. I was VERY surprised when he said it had never been changed. I can tell, thoigh, its going to need it soon. Ive already replaced the one in my 0turn CC two years ago, so I managed to get4 years out of that one.
 
(quoted from post at 18:46:52 04/22/13) I had a deep cycle Deka that I thought was going bad. I took it to the Deka people in Madison Tn and I could not asked for any better service. Trolling motor batteries don't have a long life to start with but mine liked about 1 week being out of warranty. They replaced it. Guy that took it out of my truck thumped it line a watermelon as he was taking it out and said it was low of charge. It may have been my chargers were not doing a proper job of charging a deep cycle battery. Nicest people I ever dealt with on that type of issue.


Have sold Deka here in Pa. for years, we were an Interstate dealer for a short period of time but they did not make a specific application group 31 for Case Backhoes at the time which left us to have to cobble lead type terminals with bolts to match the screw top type case cables.

Just about got thrown off a jobsite when the customer saw the riggin!

Deka is a quality battery and consistently good, Most carry ins for warranty are just needin a good charge.

mEl
 
Advance Auto batteries have been good for me and they have a 3 year 100% replacement and a 7 year warranty on their good batteries.I had one go dead about 2 years old and they replaced it no problem.
 

Honest is the highest complement and recommendation you can give anyone I hope you tell all your friends about him... He sounds like a keeper..
 
TSC batteries are made by Exide. sams club batteries are Johnson Controls.Sears are Johnson Control.It gives me a good laugh when some posters say one brand is no good and another is best when they are made in the same factory.Cars and trucks with computers place a constant drain on the battery.Letting batteries sit unused is a sure way to kill them.Lawn mower batteries sit idle for 6 months and freeze.My band mill battery lasts 5 years because I check with a hydrometer to make sure they stay full charge over winter.My truck battery was 8.5 years old when it failed with a frozen cell .It was an Exide.
 
A "Snapper" battery, in a Snapper rear engine Riding Mower lasted 9 years for me. And, it sat
in an unheated machine shed 7 months out of a
year.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top