John Deere G spark plug removal? Thin socket needed??

andy r

On the John Deere G I just aquired I cannot get my spark plug sockets to go over the plug. Seems like there is no room for the socket wall to fit in the clearance between the plug and the casting. What am I missing here? Do I need to grind a socket thinner?

A normal deep well chrome socket is usually thin enough a spark plug socket or impact socket will be too thick. I know the snap-on ones are thin enough at least just be careful I’ve been known to put the socket on first and then put the ratchet possibly not even all the way locked on if the electrode is too long so I’m not pushing on it much or stripping the flats off the plug to let the socket slide down another 1/4 inch.

On the John Deere G I just aquired I cannot get my spark plug sockets to go over the plug. Seems like there is no room for the socket wall to fit in the clearance between the plug and the casting. What am I missing here? Do I need to grind a socket thinner?
Does that have 7/8 hex on the plugs? I generally use a chrome thin wall 12-point deep socket on those. My sparkplug sockets are 5/8 and 13/16 hex sizes, I don't have a 7/8 hex sparkplug socket.

This wrench is something I salvaged from the family farm (as it had green paint on it) and as I have said we had a 47 G on the farm. Does not fit any of my current stock but I think it did fit one of the large champion plugs. At least it is thin walled and I do remember using it as a kid on the farm.

IMG_3615.JPG

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back