John Deere LA Magneto.

TSX

New User
I have a John Deere LA tractor that is a 1946 model. I have a choice of using a Wico C or a Wico X Magneto. Is one model of Magneto any more dependable or otherwise better than the other?
 
The C is the model that should be on the LA if you want to be correct. I have seen plenty with an X on it. I don't think you would be going wrong with either. I haven't ever heard anyone saying anything bad about the C versus the X. I would look at the cost of parts or to rebuild them. If one cost a lot more than the other for parts or a rebuild then I would take that into consideration.

Maybe someone else can chime in to the exact difference between the two besides appearances?
 
I agree with B Man. The X was the later model, uses a bearing where the C used a bushing,,, can develop more spark energy,,,,,,parts are more readily avaialble

John T
 
We rebuild magnetos and from a cost standpoint the C is more expensive to rebuild.
Cost of points and condenser are similar, but the cost of caps and a coil is a lot more on a C.
Also, there isn't a hot coil available for the C to my knowledge, but I haven't looked for one very hard either.
Most people prefer the X.

MShelby
 
like previously stated, the X is more trouble free, parts are easier to find and more cost efficient, easier to work on as well
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top