John Deere Model 5

DavidB184

New User
I just bought a John Deere Model 5 sickle bar mower, and the previous owner told me that he had filled the chain case with grease, and I am wondering if I should try and get all of the grease out and fill it with SAE 140 like the manual tells me? Or is it ok to leave it full of the grey grease?
 
thanks for the input. I am going to try and run it this way this year and possibly try and replace the grease with oil and new seals before mowing with it next year. And that all depends on if I can get it to work with the John Deere Model M tractor that my dad left me.
 
I just bought a John Deere Model 5 sickle bar mower, and the previous owner told me that he had filled the chain case with grease, and I am wondering if I should try and get all of the grease out and fill it with SAE 140 like the manual tells me? Or is it ok to leave it full of the grey grease?
Polk a thin rod or stick down the fill hole and get a sample. If really thick add a little oil. What kind of condition is the cutter bar?
 
The cutter bar looks pretty good. I need to correct a couple of the rock guards but otherwise it looks good.
 
I just bought a John Deere Model 5 sickle bar mower, and the previous owner told me that he had filled the chain case with grease, and I am wondering if I should try and get all of the grease out and fill it with SAE 140 like the manual tells me? Or is it ok to leave it full of the grey grease?
To me grease being gray indicates water. I would check the quality of it by cracking the drain plug when it is hot.
 
I appreciate all of the input on the mower and Now I have a question on my John Deere Model M tractor that I am getting ready to use with the model 5 mower.
I need to replace the tie rod end boots and am not sure exactly how the tie rod end is fastened into the bracket. I took off the nut that holds the tie rod to the bracket but it doesn't budge. is it a press fit into the bracket or is there some other method?
 
Put the nut back on a couple turns and get your favorite hammer and give the arm a couple good wacks between the nut and the tierod. The shock to the hole will let the tierod drop right out. Just swing in line with the arm.
 
thanks for all the input ! when the temperatures outside start being in the livable range again I will give it a try.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top