John Deere Model L Manure Spreader

Trobb55

New User
I have a John Deere model L manure spreader. Has the Series 51 stamp on the front. Could use some help, or any advice anyone may have. The bottom "conveyor" chain that feeds the manure back towards the flippers spins continuously when the spreader is not loaded with the lever engaged or disengaged. But as soon as I load it and try to spread some manure with it, it will not move at all. I am not the original owner, and I do not have any of the literature, owner's/operator's manuals, parts catalog, or technical manual of any kind to find out if something is missing. Looks like all parts are there just cannot seem to connect the missing dot. Any advice, help, ideas where to find manuals, or any pointers in the right direction will be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

With that 51 on there it tells me thast you do not have a Model L spreader but a Model H that is previous model. Great big difference there between the 2 models. I don't know enough about the model H to help you with it.

(quoted from post at 18:10:37 07/14/19) I have a John Deere model L manure spreader. Has the Series 51 stamp on the front. Could use some help, or any advice anyone may have. The bottom "conveyor" chain that feeds the manure back towards the flippers spins continuously when the spreader is not loaded with the lever engaged or disengaged. But as soon as I load it and try to spread some manure with it, it will not move at all. I am not the original owner, and I do not have any of the literature, owner's/operator's manuals, parts catalog, or technical manual of any kind to find out if something is missing. Looks like all parts are there just cannot seem to connect the missing dot. Any advice, help, ideas where to find manuals, or any pointers in the right direction will be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

"The bottom "conveyor" chain that feeds the manure back towards the flippers spins continuously"

SPINS would seem to be of a bit dramatic description of what's going on, unless you are towing the spreader @ 30 MPH!

You need an "operator's manual", you may find one on fleabay or give DEERE Techpubs a call @ 1-800-522-7448 with credit card in hand.

Both levers all the way up? If so see if the
spring on the roller at axle is broke or linkage
messed up. Seems like the right lever( right and
left is determined by standing at rear looking
foreward) enages conveyer chain.follow it to
wheel,have somebody operate it watching parts
move.im thinkin if the speed lever is left down
when empty it will move if its worn

Welcome to YT
Sounds as if conveyor chain drive chain throw-out mechanism isn't operating properly. There also must be a problem with the ratchet pawls. Are control levers at front of spreader flat or round?

We always called it the apron chain. When it would break I would idle the tractor in low gear and while the tractor slowly wandered I would pitch the spreader empty. Lots of fun.

The L has a wood front and sides. The spreader with the 51 stamped in means it is the year that the changes were made in the H that has a steel front where the 51 can be stamped in and you cannot stamp the 51 in a wood front. L replaced the H and the L looks like the R only shorter and when the H was made they did not make a spreader as big as the R that is a 95 bushel spreader. Horse drawn version of the H was an HH spreader 4 wheel unit. Go to Deere's parts look up page and you can see the difference.

(quoted from post at 22:35:39 07/15/19) The L has a wood front and sides.

According to PC221 frt sheet on model L spreader that feed control support attaches to is metal.

mvphoto39584.png

The ratchet pawls were a common source of problems with those old ground drives of all brands.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back