John Deere R pony starter

David from Kansas

Lost the starter on the pony of my R. Had been working good up to this point a couple of days ago. Just stopped cranking. Cleaned, checked all the battery cable connections to no avail; removed the starter switch from the starter and it looked pretty good but replaced it anyway again to no avail. Removed the starter an took to local shop. He called me today and said the armature is shot and he had found a new one but was going to be expensive with shipping and all. Told him to go ahead and get it. As a side note, when I dropped the starter off at his shop he looked up the D-R number in what I suspect to be some sort of master catalog listing of D-R items and ask me if I knew what all different models that used this particular starter. Course, had to tell him no I had no idea but was sure there were several different applications. He said, nope, was only made to fit the pony motor on the JD R tractor. Had called our local tractor salvage who specialized in JD and he didn't have a used one. I had also called a after-market and used parts supplier in a neighboring state and he told me he did not presently have a starter and that the last one he had he sold for $399. Anyone have any experience with the JD R pony motor starter?

He called me today and said the armature is shot and he had found a new one but was going to be expensive with shipping and all.

LOL! WHAT a pal!

The Delco number for the armature is 1917855, there's MANY for sale 0n-line for under $100.

The older Delco number is 1867897, LOTS of those for sale, as well $30 and up.

In 1975 I purchased an JD R...Never did have an electric starter on the pony...had a Cable hand pull.......worked perfect.

Bob..

I just happen to have a 6 Volt JD R Pony Motor Starter Motor I bought yearsssssssssssss ago (maybe 30 ??) never used it can NOT guarantee if it works or not, but can say it turns free and smooth, the commutator looks fine, has no burned smells, Id take $100 plus shipping. For more info shoot me an e mail [email protected] located in Indiana

John T

Don't feel bad about the price. My oldest boy works at a wheeler shop an some of them little started are like 250 dollars to replace.

Thanks John, for the info. Will see what happens with the current info. I have had this R for about 20 years and never had a problem with the pony until now. Was always amazed at how well the pony started the big engine. Have had previous experience with 720-830 model with the pony but never with an R until I acquired this one. Thanks again.

Thanks for the info. I couldn't find a break down of the components of the starter on JD web site. Could find only the starter. What was I doing wrong?

I no longer farm....land rented to Neighbor....:)
I had a parts R and a runner R
Hand start was first class.............
I purchased all service manuals and parts Books from an estate that had a JD Dealer ship <1964 ..........
Let me know if there is a parts # you would like..

Bob..
cvphoto85009.jpg

cvphoto85010.jpg

cvphoto85011.jpg

cvphoto85012.jpg

cvphoto85013.jpg

cvphoto85014.jpg

cvphoto85015.jpg

cvphoto85017.jpg

MY BAD I TAKE IT BACK this is for a 70/720 V4 Pony isn't the R pony starter a 2 cylinder opposed ???

John T

(quoted from post at 12:21:26 04/14/21) MY BAD I TAKE IT BACK this is for a 70/720 V4 Pony isn't the R pony starter a 2 cylinder opposed ???

John T

Yep, the R pony is two cylinder horizontally opposed.

i had always thought there was a lot of cross over between the CAT pony motors and the deere R pony. The shop close to me rebuilt two v4, two R starters and a couple generators for me last year and i think my total bill was 750 bucks and he said one of the armatures from the R pony was shot.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back