Jubilee clutch stuck, ideas and parts suggestion

bfonda

My clutch is stuck on my 53 Jubilee. Apparently the victim of being stored in Florida without the clutch being blocked.
I have seen and tried several tricks:
1. putting in 4th and rocking it back and forth. No luck it just turned the engine.
2. Spraying both brake cleaner and PB blaster into the clutch housing and running it with the hopes that it breaks the hold of rust. It poured back out red with rust.
3. driving it around and hitting the brake
4. hooking up the plow and put a load on the drive train.
5. blocking the clutch continually for over a week.

I have not tried the kerosene flush idea.

So far no luck. At this point I have been pretty good about getting it in gear without the clutch but dont want to risk chipping a gear.

At this point I am considering biting the bullet and cracking it open and replacing the clutch. I continually see comments about cheap Chinese parts. I see that YT has a great price for the kit. Would you recommend it? I appreciate YT sponsoring this forum and would love to order it from them but also only want to do this split once.

One last thing. I assume that I will need new gaskets for anything I separate including the clutch seal and hydraulic pump seal. Am I missing anything to do this my self. I do not have an engine lift so i am trying to figure out how to keep them both in position while split.

Thanks,
Blair

You shouldn't need a new clutch if it's just stuck. Once you have it split, you can
judge it's condition.
Ben

I can't picture the exact set up in my mind, but any way to work through the starter hole or inspection cover, get a knife blade between the disc and the flywheel/pressure plate?

I haven't experienced it personally, but I hear the new clutch discs are made with more steel and less brass. Makes them even more prone to stick.

My sister in law bought a new compact Ferguson a couple years ago, it came with a factory hook to block the clutch pedal down when stored. She didn't know what it was for. Evidently they anticipate a stuck clutch would be a problem.

#1 oil an a clutch is very bad and can/will cause you more problem due to swelling if the clutch disk.
Brake cleaner spray is good but you need to be able to spray the WHOLE clutch area by pulling he starter and spray and turn the engine.
You also may have a locked up pilot bearing that has also rusted to the input shaft of the transmission.
As for clutch replacement split it first then part since you do not know what you will need till you have split it. Plus NAPA or O'Reilly's can get you all the clutch parts you need

Clutch stuck on my Ford 3400 when I bought it, from setting 8 yrs. Blocked clutch pedal down, ran tractor
about half throttle for 2 hours. Clutch broke loose and is working fine now.

I agree with giving it more time driving with the clutch disengaged. If you have to split it do it SAFELY. Support the front by jacking it up and supporting with cribbing. Secure the front axle pivot with wooden wedges. Support the rear with a trailer jack and roll it back. Here is how: Get a trailer jack with the wheel. Remove your left running board and the round plate that the PTO lever goes through. lean the jack against the housing. sketch and measure the bracket that is needed to attach the jack to the housing using three of the holes. You will be able to roll the rear away with no danger of it falling on you. The front should NEVER be rolled due to the inherent instability due to the pivot.

You shouldn't have to split. I have had many tractors and trucks with the clutch stuck but have never had one that didn't break loose by driving in high
gear with clutch pressed down.start engine in 1'st gear and float shift till in 4'th.i also think it helps to let it get good and warmed up as the heat will help
it come loose.

Well you guys nailed it.
After changing all my fluids. I attached the bush hog and blocked the clutch down. After about 1/2 hours of mowing down everything in sight the clutch released. Pure bliss, saving me hundreds of dollars.

Kept mowing having a great time when the tractor started slowing down while the engine maintained the same speed. Finally it wouldn't move at all. I am worried that "OLD" hit it on the head and the PB blaster did more damage that good. Apparently now my clutch is slipping. I had to pull the tractor back to the barn.

Now what ?

I am hoping i can go back and spray something on the clutch to clean and degrease it.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back