jubilee vs ford 2000

racsan

same engine I know, 2000 has 1 more gear and live pto, other than that which one should I bring home? both are about the same money, 3k for the jubilee, 3200 for the 2000. jubilee is obviously a 53, good paint, low hours, been kept under roof as the nose badge is mint condition. The 2000 is a 62 and might of had a engine change, the picture of the engine tag says ford industrial engine and besides all the numbers is a 172 which makes me wonder if its a 172 instead of the 134. The 2000 also has a remote hydraulic hookup, dont really need it but do want a wide front tractor with 3-point. I put a 3-point kit on my allis C but that tricycle front doesnt work so well in deep snow. Even a 134 would be a update from a 120 cid allis engine (thats only a 3 speed transmission) I like the looks of the jubilee but Ive always wanted a 2000, grew up with its big brother (64 4000) so Im used to the dual stage clutch and the unusual 5 speed. I think both tractors weigh close to the same, dont know if either has loaded tires ( I hope not, my trailer is borderline , tandem axle with tires the size of golf cart wheels, id guess 1,500 per axle minimum) Going to look at both saturday, but only bringing one home.

For work for or show/restore? For the extra $200 the 2000 sounds like a lot more useful machine. I had an NAA--no power steering--used it with a loader/backhoe and it was close to dangerous at times. Does the 2000 have it? The Jubilee is of course a favorite for collectors.

Id use it for plowing the driveway in the winter and garden work. Would take it to shows when I could. Both would be good show tractors, you rarely see a early 60s 2000 (or 4000) and theres not a lot of jubilees around. Sadly the 2000 doesnt have power steering (the 4000 I grew up on did) Im thinking 1st on the 2000 might be lower then the jubilee (for a rear tiller) I know the 4000 1st was very low and 5th gear was quite fast) I suspect the jubilee gearing would be similar to a 8N. Some time ago I saw a Sherman combination trans for sale, that might fit in a jubilee but Im not sure it could go in a 2000. I think the oil filter on the jubilee is a cartridge where its a spin-on with the 2000. Id rather have the spin on, cartridge style sometimes seem to leak.

I would take the 2000. 9 yrs newer. And
ind pto. Plus hyd outlet is a big plus
down the road. And spin out wheels.

Oddly enough this 2000 doesnt have the spin-out wheels, our 4000 did though. Wish the pictures of the 2000 showed the proof meter, its clean though.
Not sure I can believe it but the jubilee proof meter shows 455 hours. Tires are good on both (big plus!) the jubilee is still 6V while the 2000 has been changed to 12V.

The Jubilee came with a square outdated expensive hyd pump.
I think there are parts under the lift cover only used on the 1953-54 NAA.
Mine was converted to the round piston pump used on the newer 600 series tractors.
Hard to find parts to convert to newer pump.
I have a Jubilee. Wish I had bought a newer tractor at the time.
Jubilee is retired after I bought a new kubota.

I was leaning more towards the 2000, didnt know about the hyd pump. I feel better about last weekend now, I passed on a 54 NAA that I could of got for $2K. it ran nice, paint wasnt bad but poorly repainted as there was drips on the tires and runs on the hood. I suspect it went so cheap because the auction bill had it listed as a jubilee when it wasnt really.

This is a no brainer.

The 2000 is about 10 years newer and appears to have a 172 engine transplant. If so it will have about 46 PTO HP rather than about 30 as does the Jubilee. This is an enormous increase.

The 2000 also has a five speed transmission with live PTO, an improved hydraulic system, improved rear axle, improved brakes, a remote hydraulic valve, and (maybe PS).

Power adjust rims were optional on Ford utility tractors of the 50s-60s era but not until 55. They were not available on the Jubilee.

Dean

I'm a huge fan of the Jubilee/NAA Fords, but given that choice,
I'd take the 2000 over the Jube to work with.

First gear does seem much slower, the rear end is stronger and
the hydraulics are greatly improved with parts readily available.
Make sure it doesn't pop out of third gear when coasting down hill.
Five speed parts are not necessarily readily available.

In my area, unless they were nearly perfect, neither would bring
that much money, but location is everything! Well, that and tires.
And paint, and engine condition, and options and... LOL

The NAA was a transitional design produced only in the 53 and 54 model years.

The Vickers vane pump was used in 53-55. Nothing inherently wrong with it but after nearly 70 years with no hydraulic filter (common for the era) and probably many years of poor maintenance most are worn out. Parts are still available but expensive so most convert to the much more common piston type pump which is much less expensive to over haul.

Yes, the hydraulic lift cover is also a transitional design, unlike the 550 and later models.

Dean

First gear in the Ford 5 speed transmission is slower than first gear in the 4 speed transmission but not slow enough for a tiller except in absolutely ideal conditions.

Yes, NAA/Jubilee gearing is similar to the late 8N. First gear was slowed slightly but not much.

Sherman auxiliary transmissions can be used only with 4 speed transmissions. They are not compatible with 5 speed transmissions, live PTO or otherwise.

A Sherman auxiliary transmission from a pre 58 Ford tractor will bolt into the Jubilee but will not make the tractor suitable for use with a tiller because it is mounted before the main transmission and
affects PTO speed comparatively with ground speed.

Dean

"First gear in the Ford 5 speed transmission is slower than first gear in the 4 speed transmission but not slow enough for a tiller"

I have to disagree with this statement Dean. I run a tiller behind my 960, obviously a 5 speed, and I tilled sod with it this spring.
Granted, it wasn't dried out, middle of summer sod in my baked clay, but not ideal either.
It tilled it fine without having to ride the clutch to slow ground speed.
I did go over it twice, but I kind of expected that when tilling sod.

The rest of your post I agree with. I'm not sure why we make such
a big deal out of the 2 year production of the NAA though. The next model, the 640,
was only made for 3 years. Although it did share more parts with succeeding years.

Cant remember how to upload pictures here, thought copying from my flickr account would work.

a21ujo

I would go for the 2000 if both are in similar condition. You will be getting alot for that extra $200. That being said a
Jubilee/NAA is a good tractor and would be a good step up from the Allis C. I own a Jubilee and a 1954 NAA which I have owned 36
years and it still earns its keep raking and tedding hay as well as utility work as it is handy to hop on and off compared to my
larger tractors.

(quoted from post at 01:02:22 05/07/21) This is a no brainer.

The 2000 also has a five speed transmission with live PTO, an improved hydraulic system, improved rear axle, improved brakes, a remote hydraulic valve, and (maybe PS).

Dean

+1. Rear end on my NAA failed, which is why I sold it at a significant loss. Didn't have time to fix it. NAA brakes are horrible. Mine had an inoperable Sherman. I am thinking for work the 2000 is your answer.

Not trying to change the subject; I know nothing about the Fords- I also see a Ford 641 for sale...any comments on this tractor?
Thanks

641 is the 134 ci engine with 4 speed transmission. I'd go with 2000 unless the 641 has ps, remote valve and is in just as good condition or better. Updated hydraulics and rear end over the jubilee and otherwise identical to the 200 except for the 4 speed instead of the 5 speed and some slight sheet metal changes.

The 2000 as described in a heart beat. That 5 speed is light years ahead of a 4 speed, plus live pto.

Dad bought new 6000 back in whey first came out. 61-62, not sure, it was red,
Run Forest Run if the 2000 has a SOS like the 6000.

Every manufacturer has made a few dogs in their history and the 6000 was Ford's. They did not do enough field testing before production. Ford did correct the numerous problems, but once a bad reputation occurs it is difficult to overcome.

Not everything.

There was outdated about the Vickers vane pump.

Regarding Jubilee vis a vis 4 cylinder 2000, see above.

Dean

Not everything.

There was nothing outdated about the Vickers vane pump.

Regarding Jubilee vis a vis 4 cylinder 2000, see above.

Dean

(quoted from post at 08:15:01 05/07/21) Every manufacturer has made a few dogs in their history and the 6000 was Ford's. They did not do enough field testing before production. Ford did correct the numerous problems, but once a bad reputation occurs it is difficult to overcome.

The 2000 could have a 4 speed or a 5 speed, sos wasnt available. The 4000 did have the option of sos. I would pass on any sos equipped tractor. back in the day dad knew someone with another 4000, same year but the tricycle front select-o-speed. Both had a similar disk hooked up and the 5-speed outpaced the sos like it had more power. On paper the sos didnt seem like a bad idea, but it was rushed into production without alot of testing. You read about sos issues all the time, the only 5-speed issue ive heard of is not staying in 3rd. ours was used hard. 3-14 plow, 12 disc. 3rd was the gear it had the most hours in. never had a issue with it. Finding the middle spot for 1-2 was my only issue, that and the clutch before I had enough leg control to release it smoothly. (I first started driving it around 10 y/o) Once you couldnt get leaded fuel anymore the 4000 always ran on the warm side. My grandfather on moms side bought it new. Ive only ever seen 1 other wide-front 5-speed. any other 4000 Ive seen has been a tricycle sos. Ive not seen may 2000s either. I ran across a 960 a few years back, they wanted 4K for that. seemed a bit high so I passed. Could get a N any given day of the week. Dad has a 46 bought new by his parents. Its still used to this day, I painted it (the correct dark grey) about 5 years ago and added the top plate & pump from a 8N to give it postion control. Going to work on the trailer today, needs lights & saftey chains put on for the trip. The 2000 im going to check out has suprizingly been for sale for a month. Back fenders are dark blue , every picture Ive seen of a 2000 has had buff fenders. this only has the wheels in buff. If it was repainted its been awhile, hard to tell from pictures.

If some/all sheet metal is buff, it may be a LI or LCG.

Check the front axle. Also check rear wheels (24?) front spindles, and swinging drawbar.

Buy a $25 4/5 lockout from Red Rock Manufacturing to make finding 1/2 easy with the 5 speed.

FWIW: Close friend has a 63 2000 with OEM SOS.

Dean

(quoted from post at 10:41:42 05/07/21) If some/all sheet metal is buff, it may be a LI or LCG.

Check the front axle. Also check rear wheels (24?) front spindles, and swinging drawbar.

Buy a $25 4/5 lockout from Red Rock Manufacturing to make finding 1/2 easy with the 5 speed.

FWIW: Close friend has a 63 2000 with OEM SOS.

Dean

Interesting, From what I had seen & researched the 2000 only came with a 4 or 5 speed. I assumed the 134 didnt have enough power to run a sos. They are 24 rears (new rims-big plus!) Its pictured with a green 3-point mower he wants to sell too, not really interested in the mower, have a woods belly mower on the C.

LOTs of 671 tractors were built with SOS transmissions.

Sounds like the 2000 that you are looking at is a LI or LCG.

Dean

Talked to the guy today, it is indeed a 172 engine, rear tires not loaded. Got the trailer ready to go in the morning.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back