July 3rd 1886 - Raymond Spruance was born

Ultradog MN

I'll just post a link today.
He pulled off two of our greatest victories in the Pacific war - Midway and the Turkey Shoot.
He served us well and I still think he should have been given his 5th star.
Though I'll always be a Halsey fan I think Spruance deserved it more.
Wikipedia entry on Spruance

It's my understanding that a 5 star was only handed out during times of war (supreme commander) as an answer to "command" other nation's 'Field Marshal' designation and only one per theater per branch. I may be wrong however.

I second that. He was a great Admiral. Won the Battle of Midway after transitioning from battleships to aircraft carriers.

Not wishing to take anything away from any of the Navy brass, but one must wonder why WWII lasted as long as it did, considering that the Japanese Naval code was largely broken before Pearl Harbor and such intelligence continued to improve over the course of the war.

For the most part, we knew where they were, where they were going and in what strength. This was an enormous advantage at Midway, the Philippine Sea, and elsewhere.

WWII in the Pacific, though the outcome was never in doubt, could have taken much longer to win, and at much greater cost.

Dean

Sprance had a class of destroyers named after him while Halsey just had ships named for him. I do not think the Navy will ever name a class of ships for Halsey.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back