Jump starter packs

BarnyardEngineering

What's everybody like for a jump pack these days?

I'm looking for something pretty good sized to crank over pickup trucks and tractors, preferably lithium, but $500 max maybe?

The Goodall 10,000A is kinda what I want but not at the $900 price tag.

(quoted from post at 11:28:35 04/17/23) What's everybody like for a jump pack these days?

I'm looking for something pretty good sized to crank over pickup trucks and tractors, preferably lithium, but $500 max maybe?

The Goodall 10,000A is kinda what I want but not at the $900 price tag.

https://no.co/products/power

buy as big as you can afford

(quoted from post at 19:37:07 04/17/23) how do they get that kind of amperage through those little bitty cables.

Simple answer, they don't. It's theoretical.

They do put way more amperage through those cables than they would normally be rated for, by virtue of it only being momentary AND the cables being short.

I am trying to avoid those little pocket jump starters because I'd also like to use it for an emergency power supply during power outages. The Schumacher one I have now has a small inverter in it to power my laptop, but it wouldn't even turn over my 5.3L truck engine the other day.

Jump-n-Carry seems like a well regarded brand. I see a lot of youtubers that I follow using them.

I'm 74 and I've never owned a Jump start pack.
I never needed one.
I don't live in the artic either.
I keep a close eye on my batteries and keep them topped off in the winter.

Why not buy a big truck battery and a good set of cables if you need to jump start things all the time?

(quoted from post at 13:59:17 04/19/23) I'm 74 and I've never owned a Jump start pack.
I never needed one.
I don't live in the artic either.
I keep a close eye on my batteries and keep them topped off in the winter.

Why not buy a big truck battery and a good set of cables if you need to jump start things all the time?

Do you understand what a jump pack is? Why not ask instead of suggesting that since you've never needed one, he doesn't either. The entire idea of a jump pack is so one doesn't have to use a battery and jumper cables. They are better in every way. And like also mentioned, some can be used for emergency power during outages.

Will a jump pack work where there is NO battery?
Will it jump a vehicle/ Tractor where the battery has been dead for a couple of weeks/months/years?
Will it work on a shorted battery or dragging starter?
Will it start a HD over the road, simi- diesel truck engine in 20 degrees with a 30 second glow cycle?

I have a dsr 12/24 jump pack that will do all of these things, but it weighs 40+ lbs to carry around.
The smaller packs that I have tried will not work on completely dead/ shorted batteries.

(quoted from post at 13:04:21 04/19/23) Will a jump pack work where there is NO battery?
Will it jump a vehicle/ Tractor where the battery has been dead for a couple of weeks/months/years?
Will it work on a shorted battery or dragging starter?
Will it start a HD over the road, simi- diesel truck engine in 20 degrees with a 30 second glow cycle?

I have a dsr 12/24 jump pack that will do all of these things, but it weighs 40+ lbs to carry around.
The smaller packs that I have tried will not work on completely dead/ shorted batteries.

many moons ago at work, someone left a small power inverter plugged into the cigarette lighter of the work truck...for months. Well, when we went to start it, the dome light wouldn't even turn on (D-E-D, dead). The low-cost lithium ion jump pack we had (think $50 harbor freight special) started the 1/2 ton ( V8 ) without so much as a hiccup. This was 10+ years ago, certainly battery technology has improved since then.

I understand what you're saying above, each application is different and it's the consumer's responsibility to research available products and purchase what's most applicable. The booster I mentioned above, I wouldn't even attempt to connect to a over the road truck. I have one of the DSR boosters as well...it's a beast (powerful AND heavy). When I need the capacity, it's the only tool for the job but when starting cars/trucks/mowers/less than 100hp tractors, I refuse to lug a 40# tool to do a job that a 2# tool will do.

Here's a question for the original poster: what is the biggest engine you'll boost? the smallest? What is the distribution of engines (% large vs % small)? Is this a tool you'll keep in the car/truck for multiple location use or in the shop? Are you against purchasing two tools, or is this a once and done?

This post was edited by tperson on 04/19/2023 at 02:19 pm.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back