June 6, 1944

I just can not imagine being in one of those landing craft, hearing all that gunfire and the explosions, knowing I had to get out and face that out in the open. These men were the true patriots.

How about the Scotchman who played the bagpipes on Omaha beach ,Germans probably thought this guy was crazy. Were bagpipes needed for battle ?

I didn't realize that had happened, but it's interesting.

In August of 1958 the Marine Aircraft Group I was a member of at Atsugi, Japan deployed to a Nationalist Chinese Air Force base on Taiwan to back up the NCAF in operations against Red China on the Mainland.

During our final muster at Atsugi before we boarded ships and airplanes bound for Taiwan, a Scottish Marine Gunnery Sergeant marched back and forth in front of the formation playing bagpipes. We thought he was just doing his own thing at the time, but maybe there was a tradition involved that we weren't aware of.

Brigadier General Theodore Roosevelt III was the only General officer to land with the troops on D-Day. His landing craft was pushed off course about a mile. After reconnoitering the beach he told his commanders Gentlemen, we'll begin the war here. His calm demeanor under fire helped steady the troops as they came ashore.
He died later from a heart attack and is buried in France next to his brother who died in WWI.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back