koehring 166 backhoe

exjetman

New User
Hi everybody,
Does anybody know what kind of transmission an early to mid 70s Koehring 166 backhoe has. The ad says 4 speed w/ shuttle shift. Is this just a geared tractor with a clutch, or does it have some kind of hydraulic drive. Also, are any trans parts still available for this tractor anymore?
Thanks,
exjetman
 
Koehring didn"t make a 166 in the early to mid seventies, it would be a Bantam (which was the smaller equipment division of Koehring). In the early to mid seventies, it would be a 451 Bantam, switching over to 166 Bantam sometime in the mid seventies, then to a 166 Koehring sometime around 1982. A 166 (or 451) never was a backhoe, but rather a hydraulic excavator (trackhoe) and would be completly hydraulic. No transmission at all.
 
Thanks for the response, It is definitly a wheeled backhoe and the add says it is a 166 koehring. However it is on ebay so who really knows? It is not a familiar looking backhoe to me. The pictures in the add show a rusty backhoe with no visible markings.Add also says it has a running Perkins diesel, but the machine will not move. Just wondering?
 
I don't have a clue what it could be. We used to have a 451 Bantam (bought new in 1973, before the number changed to 166, and the name to Koehring), and I still have a 266 Bantam (bought new in 1978, also before the Koehring name swallowed Bantam) If you Google image 166 koehring, you should find a pic of what I'm talking about. It'll be an orange trackhoe. A 266 is about a 45,000 to 50,000 machine, and a 166 if I remember right was about a 35,000 pound machine...

All of them I've ever been around had Detroit diesel engines in them, I'm thinking the 451 had a 4-53, and I know the 266 has a 4-71. We also had a 666 Koehring that had a 8V-71. I think some of them had a Cummins as an option, but never heard of a Perkins in one.

I'm wondering if it could be an old JCB backhoe, as they had Perkins motors in them.

Wish I could help more.
 
I don't have a clue what it could be. We used to have a 451 Bantam (bought new in 1973, before the number changed to 166, and the name to Koehring), and I still have a 266 Bantam (bought new in 1978, also before the Koehring name swallowed Bantam) If you Google image 166 koehring, you should find a pic of what I'm talking about. It'll be an orange trackhoe. A 266 is about a 45,000 to 50,000 machine, and a 166 if I remember right was about a 35,000 pound machine...

All of them I've ever been around had Detroit diesel engines in them, I'm thinking the 451 had a 4-53, and I know the 266 has a 4-71. We also had a 666 Koehring that had a 8V-71. I think some of them had a Cummins as an option, but never heard of a Perkins in one.

I'm wondering if it could be an old JCB backhoe, as they had Perkins motors in them.

Wish I could help more.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top