Kubota steering gear box

Old560

Was running the Kubota B 6000 in the Garden last weekend. Steering went pop and then had no steering. Turns out a bearing in the gearbox disintegrated and the steering shaft was not making contact with a steering selector in the box. In the picture Im trying to post you can see the selector gear has concave teeth on it are they supposed to be like that? I think they are so they make more contact with the worm gear on the steering shaft. Was reading another site where a guy build up those teeth to where they were straight across.
cvphoto141958.jpg

cvphoto141959.jpg

That's the typical shape of a worm drive gear set. You are correct, it's to get maximum surface contact.

Hard to tell from the picture how bad everything is worn, but looks useable from what I can see.

A little wear is acceptable.

In both images the teeth on the bull gear look worn and sharpened to a ragged edge. I think they should be the shape they are, but the wear will probably put strain on the worm, pushing them apart. Me thinks both need to be compared to new. Jim

Call me dumb, but hopefully you have made some effort to clean the grease out of there? If not that gear box was painfully dry. Unless you are sure the gear box will be 90w leak free I would suggest you get some ..cornhead grease.. to put in there for lube. Web search that or go to your local JD, CaseIH or AGCO dealer and pick some up.

Take it all apart. If the sector is badly worn perhaps it can be reinstalled to where unworn teeth intersect the worm. We need to see how badly the worm is worn. Is the steering arm splined to the sector shaft? Again it may be possible to install 180 degrees off and allow the use of unworn sector teeth.

Looks like them gears are toast ! Better look for another gearbox. Why is it dry ? Or have u washed it ? Cause if thats the way it was run thats the problem.

I don't believe Kubota is making any parts for B series tractors anymore. I went to my dealer about five years ago to get parts for several different areas of my B5200 and couldn't get anything.

It's supposed to have the dip. It's not supposed to be worn that thin. Replacements run around $400. BIL replaced his last summer. You can find them on eBay or Amazon.

Kubota furnishes parts for the B series as it is still and active series today. The B 6000 was or is a grey market or an import BEFORE Kubota USA. That being said there are off brand steering sectors or parts all over the net for that tractor.

For a very long time every time I would go to the Kubota dealership for parts they would have to order everything and have it shipped from many different places in the country. Like I said the last time I went the guy looked through his computer and said he couldn't find any parts which were available anymore so I quit going. Maybe the guy didn't want to mess with me but that's what happened. If they do still make the parts that would make me really angry because I bought the tractor from them. I never expected it to be easy since the tractor is 35 years old.

Go to this link and the to parts catalog. Scroll thru to steering. Take your heart meds. before checking the prices.

https://www.messicks.com/KU/84573?sectionId=215279&diagramId=327754/a

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back