Late model B clutch - I give up!!!!

chas036

I am at a complete loss on what to do next with my late model B clutch and trying to get it adjusted.

I have replaced every part imaginable, the dogs, the toggles, the pins, the springs , the bolts, the operating sleeve, the facings and I still can't get it to snap when trying to engage it.

This time I put the wheel back on thinking it just needs to run awhile and settle in. I engage the clutch and when the lever is let go, it will disengage. The only way the tractor will run is if I push the lever hard and hold it.

I have tried every method suggested to adjust the clutch. I will engage the clutch with nuts loose as suggested in the manual. then tighten the nuts until they are all tight. When I disengage it, I will hear that distinct snap, and it takes some force to disengage it. But when I try to engage it again, it is totally impossible. I can push the lever as hard as I can, and it won't engage. To engage it again, I have to back off the nuts a castle notch at a time until finally I can engage it, but with hardly no force and no snap what so ever.

Could my new after market facings be to thick and not allowing compression when trying to engage?

What is the function of the back facing between the drive disk and the pulley? It looks like it is not involved in any clutch engagement.

I don't know what eles to do other than maybe send it off to Khuns Antique tractor repair in NY.

I found my problem , or I should say my wife found it. I can't believe that I couldn't see this before. It was the rod that connects to the clutch lever. It was hitting on the lever at the bushing as I pushed it forward thus never reaching it's max push on the operating sleeve. Once I adjusted that rod where it connects to the fork shaft, the clutch engages with a snap now . I feel so dumb for not looking at that before, and more stupid because my wife saw it before I did.

Sometimes it is something like that. I have had that happen to me before, not with a clutch but something that should have been
obvious but was overlooked.

you better keep her around , handy to have, better get her overhauling the carbs like grandpa love!

Good News! I've been following this story from the beginning. I'm gonna log it in my memory just in case I run across the same problem.

Thank you to your wife!!

Sounds like both the wife and the tractor are keepers, glad you found the problem. There is a old saying in aviation, the further you are from the panel the smarter you get

Sometimes a person with a fresh point of view can walk right up and find the problem. Im glad she spotted it for you. I have a hunch you would have found it eventually though.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back