(quoted from post at 06:13:08 05/21/20) What do you guys use to cut snap ring grooves in a shaft ? Parting tool is expensive

Simply narrow up a standard 1/4" or 5/16" or whatever size tool bit your lathe uses to the width of the snap ring groove you want to cut.

I recently did just that and cut an INTERNAL snap ring groove in the accessory drive casting from a Detroit Diesel.
 
I have used either a cheapo parting tool or a tool bit ground for what was needed. WTTOOL.com sells all price ranges. IIRC I got my el cheapo there.
 
Grinding a high speed tool bit is about the cheapest way. When your fingers are burning, it is a good time to quench them (and the tool).
 
I assume you are running an engine lathe?

It depends on how many you are going to need. I am a fan of hand grinding a high speed bit if you only need a few. It's a bit tricky but with a steady hand you can get it.
 
I don't want to hijack this thread, but has anyone ever fashioned a holder that would use a broken and re-ground hacksaw blade?
 
I have never mounted a hacksaw blade but have used a hacksaw on a lathe for cutting off stock many times. High school shop teacher showed us how to do it. If you are right handed don't use the saw conventionally. Put the grip in your left hand and hold the front of the frame in your right. This keeps your arms away from the chuck.

Light, long strokes with rpm's down around 300 or so. Keep the blade moving and you will be surprised what a good job it will do. I have showed the young guys this technique at the shop a few times and they think I'm nuts.

They might be right.....
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top