Leaking Mt Hydraulic Pump

nisse

I have now taken off the hydraulic pump 2 times to try and fix it from leaking. The first time I thought I had it ready to go after replacing the seals and bearings but it still leaked because I rolled over the lip of the seal. I replaced that seal but it still leaks badly, I was thinking the shaft may be worn causing it to leak. There is a worn area, but it is only about .003" smaller, would that cause a pretty significant leak? What would be the best way to build it up? I have stick and mig welders in my shop, but I could have it tigged at work. I am a machinist by trade, so that part shouldn't be a issue.
Thanks,
John
a262974.jpg

a262975.jpg

First of all, I assume you are installing the seals properly, with the lips facing away from each other? Good idea to put a dab of grease between the lips.

Also, put some sealant on the outside of the seals to be sure they seal to the bore.

The shaft doesn't look real bad in the sealing area, how about putting some type of spacer in the bore before the seals to move them outward just a little, .025" or .030" would be enough to get the seal lip an new metal, is there room to do that without interference with the coupling? For that matter, you could machine the bore a little deeper and move the seals inward enough to wear on new metal.

Just went and looked on jdparts and was surprised that the double-lip seal (AM586T) is still available, DEERE has subbed many double-lipped seals to two single-lipped deals. INTERESTING to note that the OEM seal is shown as having NO garter springs.

Are you using the genuine DEERE seal, or two generic seals back-to-back?

The way it's set up, using a Speedi-Sleeve should be an option as well.

jdparts shows the shaft diameter as .874" and a Speedi-Sleeve # 99087 fits shaft sizes .873" to .877", is .313" wide after installation.

Some ideas, anyway, rather than the more difficult (and possibly unsuccessful) procedure of trying to weld up the ;ilelu hardened shaft and machine it perfectly smooth.

Shaft doesn't look too bad but I would do some polishing with crocus cloth. Here's a tip from the service manual as there were problems like your's sixty years ago.
a262986.jpg

Thanks for all the replies, I did use the John Deere seal both times, and I did use some sealer when I installed it. I'm thinking the sleeve is the way to go, never have used one, looks pretty easy, any tips how to install?
Thanks,
John

Installion instructions at the link below. You'll have to find or fabricate a pipe or tube that's the same ID as the tool that comes with it, as the tool won't fit over the length of the shaft to shove the sleeve in place.
Speedi Sleeve install

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back