Lightening bill gears / axles

MMG1954

New User
Going to take apart my G this winter , need to lose some weight. Do guys think it is absolutely crucial to have bull gears and axles and housing put on a lathe to loose material, or would a grinder work? I know it would take a while but I can do it , over paying a machine shop. Or would stuff like balance be an issue? Thanks

We lighten bull gears every day here. They end up being like 35 lbs I believe. They are turned on a large turning lathe. Grinding would take forever. We also have hollow axles for A's and G's and 70's. Not sure what they weigh but I can carry one in one hand. They have a welded on 9 bolt hub. These are true hollow one piece axles, not like some of them where they start with a pipe and weld the splines into it. Over 2000 hooks on mine and still going. We have a horizontal mill that we use to lighten the axle housing up with. Depending on what you want, you can save a lot of weight in those. Cut the frame out in front and part of the pedestal, aluminum mains and starter bracket, wheelie bars and weight brackets, radiator and you can get to 4250 with a driver with a G.

I would start with a old U housing. Pipe axles pipe axle housings. And shorten them. I think the guys are cutting the bull gears in 1/2. Aluminum top. I know pretty radical. But that's what your competitors are doing.

Its already a ut100a transmission with gvi axles. They are the shortest at 14. Some uts had 15 axles, some had 17 or 18. Already have aluminum top. I cant afford tube axles being made. Just curious on if things like balance are super important. Im not afraid of some hours grinding on this stuff

I don't think axles turn fast enough to make a difference. I made my axle housing from schedule 80 pipe. Found a demo derby guy he made the flanges. He thought it was so easy a job didn't want any mone. I did pay him. But I welded them. Cut off 10 on each side.

Picture. I know it's a Allis
cvphoto166599.jpg

That is impressive. Thank you. One of these cold weekends Im going to take it apart and start grinding

Just saw on outlaw antique pulling forum. On facebook. Guy has aluminum flywheels and other light parts for MM. When you get there will be 3 different ones to pick from. I click the middle one and when it comes up click on discussion.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back