Lincoln PowerLuber squirts grease everywhere

BarnyardEngineering

Let me preface this by stating that yes, I know how to use a grease gun.

My old cheap no-name cordless grease gun finally gave up the ghost. Runnings was having a memorial day special on the Lincoln PowerLuber 12V Lithium Ion which was more than competitive with online prices. So I bought one.

I put a fresh tube of grease in my brand new grease gun and go to grease some equipment. Plug the coupler on the zerk, pull the trigger. and the grease just squirts out around the zerk at the coupler. Did that on 90% of the zerks I tried.

Bad coupler right? I went and bought high-pressure 4-jaw top-of-the-line brand name "Lock-n-Load" grease coupler, and installed it. Grease still squirts out on 90% of the zerks I tried. U-joints, pillow blocks, baler knotters... Doesn't matter.

I went and got the cheap Harbor Freight pistol grip manual grease gun and NO PROBLEM! Grease pumps right in EVERY zerk the Lincoln failed on.

Does anybody have any idea what the problem is?

First off, never used a Lincoln gun.

But the Milwaukee I have has 2 speeds. Maybe try the slower speed if you haven't. Although it still shouldn't leak.

And it is possible you bought a bad new coupler. Are the threads the same between the coupler you know is good (Harbor freight gun) and your Lincoln? Maybe swap them
and see what happens?

Other than that, beats me.

I will say when I bought the Milwaukee, the coupling was waaaaay to tight. Had to push like heck to get it on the zerk, took prying with a screwdriver to get the
coupling off the zerk. Grabbed a coupling off an old grease gun, all is well.

Good luck

Fred

Another labor saving gadget that increase labor, cost and decrease reliability. Miss the pull rope on my lawn mower too.

(quoted from post at 09:33:55 06/10/19) Parked my battery-operated toothbrush a long time ago.

That's nice, but when the person pumping the grease has arthritis in their hands, not having to squeeze the gun dozens of times is a godsend.

Plenty of professionals swear by powered grease guns. We've had powered grease guns for the past 15 years, and never had any problems like this.

(quoted from post at 10:08:05 06/10/19)
(quoted from post at 09:33:55 06/10/19) Parked my battery-operated toothbrush a long time ago.

That's nice, but when the person pumping the grease has arthritis in their hands, not having to squeeze the gun dozens of times is a godsend.

Plenty of professionals swear by powered grease guns. We've had powered grease guns for the past 15 years, and never had any problems like this.

Just kidding, they are very useful to have.

I actually have a greasegun that has the opposite problem -- won't let go of the zerk.

Bad coupler right? I went and bought high-pressure 4-jaw top-of-the-line brand name "Lock-n-Load" grease coupler, and installed it. Grease still squirts out on 90% ...

Sorry , I can't answer your question . When I bought my Lock-n-lube coupler it came with a rebuild kit , which made me wonder why would they send a rebuild kit with a new coupler ? They may have a high fail rate after a zerk that doesn't take grease ?

That's just it, it's NOT the zerks!

I take a plain cheap $14.99 pistol grip grease gun and grease the same zerks, and they work perfectly fine.

It's not the zerks, and not the couplers. I've tried multiple combinations. The only commonality in the problem is the gun itself. I don't understand how the gun can be the problem as it only pumps the grease, but there it is.

Whatever. I'm done fighting with it. Got my money back.

(quoted from post at 17:00:25 06/10/19) That's just it, it's NOT the zerks.

Break out the calipers and do some measuring.. Not all zerk fittings are equal..

Take a grease gun coupler made for metric zerk fittings. And you will find that a good one is fits tight and are very hard to remove from SAE fittings.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back